Elective surgery?

Posted , 2 users are following.

After being diagnosed with Diverticular disease a couple of years ago and two hospital stays for diverticulitis I was advised to opt for elective surgery. This has been delayed due to COVID and I'm now wondering if its the right thing to do, any advice welcome

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Dear Sharon,

After 3 emergency room visits, 8 rounds of anti-biotics, a million CT scans, colonoscopy,

dietary changes, quit drinking/smoking....I finally had the elective surgery after 9 months from diagnosis.

I consider it a life-changing surgery that gave me back my life again. There are some complications that can arise after you heal up from surgery like scar tissue or constipation but I would never take back my decision to do the resection. If you do it electively you will more than likely not need a stoma. If you wait until things get much worse the risks are much higher if you do not elect surgery. Feel free to PM me with any questions you have. I am glad to help!

Best,

Daniel

• Posted

I just had my first complicated diverticulitis with a 2 cm abscess perforated colon. The doctor wants to do laparoscopic surgery. However I was only in the hospital for 2 1/2 days. And have not had any issues no pain nothing. I’ve been released from the hospital for a week. And slowly adding fiber to my diet. What are your thoughts.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.