Electric/Energy surge to brain when trying to fall asleep.

Posted , 373 users are following.

Hi guys, I'm new to the site but glad I found somewhere to share my symptoms.

I'm getting a sort of electrical shock when trying to fall asleep. This electrical shock seems to be described on other sites as 'jumps' or 'zaps' or 'surges of energy'. It happens not when I'm sleeping but the moment I am about to fall asleep. Its like a sort of butterflies feeling in the stomach and then a rush/surge of energy to the brain which gives you a 'jump' and electrical feeling in the head and sometimes upper body. The more extreme they are sometimes produce a twitch in maybe the arm or leg. Its not painful but I guess is quite scary when it happens. These can happen numerous times a night.

Many friends/family I have spoken to say this is normal and they are familiar with the symptoms (I understand what they mean as it can be quite similar to when you suddenly wake from a bad dream) but mine seem to be a lot more often and extreme. I know my symptoms don't seem to be normal.

I've been having these for about 5-6 weeks now (some nights are worse than others) but generally its been more or less every night. This has turned into a vicious cycle because when you actually close your eyes at night to go to sleep you are actually waiting for the 'shock' to happen instead of trying to sleep. Obviously the less sleep you have, the less functional you are the next day and so on and so on. You then get sleep deprived which I believe also may trigger this.

The only other thing I can add to my symptoms is sometimes during the day I get a spaced out/empty/dizzy/cloudy feeling in the head (hard to explain). Sometimes this can turn into a sort of brain/head sensation where you feel you need to kind of 'shake it off'. Again, its hard to explain, something like if you have restless feet and you need to kick out of it but its in the head so you need to give yourself a shake to snap out of it.

I have read quite a bit about anxiety/stress and these symptoms may fall into this category but the issue I have with this, is that I have nothing to be anxious/stressful about! All is OK with job, money, house, relationship etc so I'm not sure how this all started. Could I be anxious about this illness? Again, a vicious cycle?

About me - I'm a fit and healthy 35 year old guy. I actually exercise quite a lot (go to gym/swim 4 times a week and have run numerous marathons over the past year). Although this fitness regime has stopped since I have started having these symptoms as I am feeling quite weak/tired due to not getting much sleep due to it. I have no major prior illnesses and I am not on any medication. I don't want to get in the habit of taking sleep medication.

I have been to the hospital and spent the night where they performed numerous blood tests/Heart ECG/X Rays/Urine and all came back OK. The only issue I had was slightly high blood pressure (but not high enough to be put on any medication). I have also been for an MRI scan and EEG epilepsy test. I will find the results with these in about 5 weeks time.

Anyway, that's my symptoms and hopefully someone might feel at ease that they are going through something similar.

Reading similar posts on the internet I don't think anyone has come to the conclusion on what in fact is causing these problems, even though a lot of the people actually been for tests and seen doctors. Has anyone experienced these issues?

Thanks guys, feel free to get in touch smile

27 likes, 695 replies

695 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I also feel the same and it really scares me. I also read and watched videos regarding Anxiety Disorder and all of the symptoms are the same. But still it made me worry a lot especially at night as I fall asleep. I feel that there is a sudden flow of electricity in my brain, along with that is the hardness of breathing, nervousness, confussion, numbness of arms, chest, legs, face and tonque. I also feel some sort of choking during the attack and it is very scary.
  • Posted

Ok, so i dont know if this works, but have you guys eaten anything that contains gluten before bed?
  • Posted

I know this is old, but I'm sure some people have had similar events like this happen and if it was anything like I experienced, it's quite alarming and upsetting. I think I have an answer based on what I've been reading about and researching (medical journals are a real joy to read he wrote sarcastically) and I hope it brings some people a little comfort knowing they're not on the cusp of a horrible infection or neurological disorder. First, a quick recap of what I experienced. What I've read here it sounds pretty similar so I hope this is what most people mean when they said "Electric Surges". I was just about to fall asleep, I remember I was on the cusp of falling asleep while dreaming about "Lisa Simpson on an escalator for some reason" when suddenly it felt like somebody was flicking a switch off and on really fast that was zapping my brain like a 9-Volt battery on your tongue. I remember trying to say "help" so that my wife would know something really wrong was happening. It lasted for I thought was about 5-20 seconds. When it stopped I was completely awake and scared if I'm honest. I called a local health line because I was concerned I had just suffered a seizure. The nurse told me it didn't sound like one, so that calmed me down enough to go to sleep (apprehensively) again. Never happened since. Now, the good news I was talking about. The most benign reason would be that just before you slipped into an unconscious state your brain got a little ahead of itself getting to stage 2, or N2 sleep. Blood pressure drops, heart rate drops. The sensation we've experienced is more than likely something that happens every time you move between the different sleep stages, only in these few cases you're still awake enough to be aware of them. The other answer I've read is pharmacological, and is caused by the discontinuation of SNRI or SSRI class drugs (Antidepressants like Effexor (Venlafaxine) or Prozac (Flueoxetine). For those of you who are constantly suffering from this, I would suggest you get a referral to a sleep clinic. If there is something wrong, it will show up on an EEG. Failing that, bloodwork would show something. Anyways, I'm not a medical professional, just a curious person. If this makes no sense medically, then I'll delete it so not to mislead. Otherwise, hope this helped some people.

• Posted

I have been experiencing something similar. On two occasions, the first about a year ago and last night. As I fall asleep my brain went into a spasm. The first time it lasted a few seconds. It was like electric shock going through my brain. It got progressively worse and worse. I was asleep but aware. It felt like my brain was going to stop until I snapped out of it and woke up.

Last night was much worse. Again, as I was falling asleep and in a dream I think, it happened again. Similar experience but lasted a lot longer. I again felt like my brain was going to stop and got quite scared. My heart rate got high and I think as my brain spasm got worse my heart started to miss beats. It also felt like my eyes were sinking into my head. It kinda felt like how I would expect to feel when I die slowly. I was asleep and was thinking I ought to call myself an ambulance. As I was at work supporting a disabled person (sleepover duty) I was worried about how I could do that. I was petrified and woke up. I felt fine when I woke up but couldn't fall asleep for ages.

I don't get the jumps other people have described but the brain sensation seems a bit different.

I know this has only happened twice but they're getting worse each time so far. I don't know if I should go see a doctor or what. I'm usually a very fit and healthy person.

• Posted

This definitely isn't an answer or a cure by any means... But I put my ipad in front of my face in my bed at night with something streaming like Dish or netflix.  Something about the lights flickering in my eyes seems to keep the zaps away.  I only found this out because I was doing this to try not to sleep initially because I was scared to sleep, afraid of the zap!  But after several nights of trying to stay awake and then just falling asleep I noticed that I wasn't getting them.  I now turn it on and keep the volume on mute and just go to sleep.  For me it seems to be something with the lights.  I never have them during the day or when I take a nap during the day or fall asleep watching tv in family room.. It's only when it is dark.  Try this and see if it helps.

• Posted

I had this to, hated going to bed. I am now on anti-depressants 99% better
  • Posted

I've been having this same issue, Just had the most intense one I could actually here it , it was like zzzzmmmmmmm right b4 I drifted off. Typically it's just an slight electrical sensation going through my body from my head or eyes actually to my feet right as I drift off ,it doesn't hurt at all just freaks me out. I've only been experiencing this for 3 or 4 months but these past few weeks it's been more often. It's definitely getting stronger at times. I'm so glad I found this site. I am on meds but I've been taking most all of them for about 5 to 10 yrs with the exception of my blood pressure medicine. I'm going to go to the Doctor very soon & will post their findings . Also , your post was awhile ago did the doctors ever figure this out ? Hope all is well

• Posted

I know the beginning of this post is some time ago I'm just curious cuz I haven't read every reply if there's any doctors that have commented about what this might be if anybody can help me see this in a post it would be great.

• Posted

My doctor said it is a form of a panic attack.  The rushing feeling in the head and trying to catch your breath and the feeling of having to shake it off.   It is such a strong sensation, I never thought anxiety could cause a physical sensation like this, but  I am starting to believe that is what it is.  It seems to occur more often if I “over do” it, but I guess that depletes a certain chemical.  It’s a tough balance, because I want to exercise because that is supposed to help bring in the endorphins, but it actually creates the issue, so it’s a difficult situation.
    • Posted

I appreciate your comments it makes sense since I'm having the worst anxiety for the last few months totally debilitating can't move from one spot has been horrible thank you.

• Posted

Hi Robin I’m sorry to hear that. I had the head rush jolt thing when falling asleep and I am sure it’s anxiety. Did you try to see a psychologist for some cognitive behavioural therapy ( CBT) ? This has totally cured my anxiety. I also read this book ‘ Self Help for your Nerves’ by Claire Weekes’. This is an amazing book written in a very easy to understand manner. This book also helped me tremendously. It’s on Amazon for about 6 pounds. It explains all the physical sensations you are feeling as a result of anxiety and how if you accept them and don’t fear them they will diminish and then disappear. My falling asleep anxiety problem did also disappear when my anxiety subsided. Please read that book and get the CBT if you can. Anxiety can be overcome once you know what all the frightening sensations are and how to change your mindset. I wish you well! Emma

• Posted

I got rid of them for a few months by doing a heavey metal detox. Might be worth looking into.
  • Posted

Hello everyone. I am a 64 year old female who started suffering from these "zaps" February 23, 2017. For those of you who are old enough to remember when we had to try to find a radio station, it was that sound that would explode in my head and literally paralyze me. The sound was absolutely deafening. This happened back to back on the same night as I was trying to fall asleep. This kept happening every few weeks, but as it went on I was able to pull myself out of the paralysis through sheer will. I was evaluated by a neurologist who did the CAT scan and MRI with no abnormal results. It continues to happen to this day. I will certainly get the test for Lyme disease. I've always been active even with some chronic conditions. I am so glad I found this site.

• Posted

Without the internet...I would never have known others relate with what’s going on. I couldn’t even find words to describe it. I got here by typing in “tickling feeling in hand before sleep”. Before using the word tickling...all that came up was hypnotic jerks ect ect. This is not the type of “hypnic jerk” that people automatically think of. They also usually refer to WHEN we are asleep and rarely RIGHT BEFORE we sleep. 

I’ve read so many comments and my mind is fried haha. Some I could relate with, but we all have this “surge” that you perfectly put it. You described EXACTLY what I experience. I honestly don’t know how long this has been happening. Maybe, 8 months now. But, it’s just like you describe. I get this deep sharp jolt that tickles me awake. I also assume it’s coming which keeps me up...like you perfectly explained. I can see it being a “electrical surge” because I visualize the energy traveling to my mind. I almost feel superhuman, but it’s effing with me.

I’m 25. Healthy as can be. I wake up around 5am and stretch/meditate very hardcore. I train with heavy weights and intake caffeine everyday. My nutrition is on point MOST OF THE TIME until I run out of food or money. I tried connecting all our lifestyles to see what’s causing this, but nothing seems to add up. We all have this during different ages and lifestyles. 

Lyme disease was something brought up. I’ll look into that, unless someone has a better answer. I don’t have an answer. Sure stress can do crazy things, but everyone stresses. But, not everyone experiences this. Why do we? Are we all connected? I feel it has to do with low blood sugar mixed with a sudden change in life. I feel this happens when our body is adjusting to something. I would love for their to be a special answer, to make me feel more special. 

I can feel it during the day...like my hands are waiting to go into shock. I’m glad we all can come together.

• Posted

i have been having these tremors for 30 years my therapist told me its non epileptic myoclonis seizures or another name for this is pnes diesese look into this

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.