Electric/Energy surge to brain when trying to fall asleep.

Posted , 373 users are following.

Hi guys, I'm new to the site but glad I found somewhere to share my symptoms.

I'm getting a sort of electrical shock when trying to fall asleep. This electrical shock seems to be described on other sites as 'jumps' or 'zaps' or 'surges of energy'. It happens not when I'm sleeping but the moment I am about to fall asleep. Its like a sort of butterflies feeling in the stomach and then a rush/surge of energy to the brain which gives you a 'jump' and electrical feeling in the head and sometimes upper body. The more extreme they are sometimes produce a twitch in maybe the arm or leg. Its not painful but I guess is quite scary when it happens. These can happen numerous times a night.

Many friends/family I have spoken to say this is normal and they are familiar with the symptoms (I understand what they mean as it can be quite similar to when you suddenly wake from a bad dream) but mine seem to be a lot more often and extreme. I know my symptoms don't seem to be normal.

I've been having these for about 5-6 weeks now (some nights are worse than others) but generally its been more or less every night. This has turned into a vicious cycle because when you actually close your eyes at night to go to sleep you are actually waiting for the 'shock' to happen instead of trying to sleep. Obviously the less sleep you have, the less functional you are the next day and so on and so on. You then get sleep deprived which I believe also may trigger this.

The only other thing I can add to my symptoms is sometimes during the day I get a spaced out/empty/dizzy/cloudy feeling in the head (hard to explain). Sometimes this can turn into a sort of brain/head sensation where you feel you need to kind of 'shake it off'. Again, its hard to explain, something like if you have restless feet and you need to kick out of it but its in the head so you need to give yourself a shake to snap out of it.

I have read quite a bit about anxiety/stress and these symptoms may fall into this category but the issue I have with this, is that I have nothing to be anxious/stressful about! All is OK with job, money, house, relationship etc so I'm not sure how this all started. Could I be anxious about this illness? Again, a vicious cycle?

About me - I'm a fit and healthy 35 year old guy. I actually exercise quite a lot (go to gym/swim 4 times a week and have run numerous marathons over the past year). Although this fitness regime has stopped since I have started having these symptoms as I am feeling quite weak/tired due to not getting much sleep due to it. I have no major prior illnesses and I am not on any medication. I don't want to get in the habit of taking sleep medication.

I have been to the hospital and spent the night where they performed numerous blood tests/Heart ECG/X Rays/Urine and all came back OK. The only issue I had was slightly high blood pressure (but not high enough to be put on any medication). I have also been for an MRI scan and EEG epilepsy test. I will find the results with these in about 5 weeks time.

Anyway, that's my symptoms and hopefully someone might feel at ease that they are going through something similar.

Reading similar posts on the internet I don't think anyone has come to the conclusion on what in fact is causing these problems, even though a lot of the people actually been for tests and seen doctors. Has anyone experienced these issues?

Thanks guys, feel free to get in touch smile

27 likes, 695 replies

695 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I am 28 yrs old. A husband and a father, my 2nd child is 7 weeks away. These exact same things happend to me rougly 4 nights ago.  It feels to me as though they are very heavy heart palps but my pulse never seems to change. I went to the ER the other night and was on a monitor for a few hours with no irregularities. I am under a ton of stress and anxiety is a very new feeling to me and its been getting worse. These 2 things seem to go hand in hand. 

I'm very big on being open to any and all suggestions that are presented to me and anxiety seems to be the best explination so far. Last night I layed in bed and did everything i could to make a story or a movie in my head instead of trying to sleep. While I don't remember when i fell asleep or even if I did, I do remember having less of the surges. Its a terrible thing to experience because now that I am awake and had some sleep I am still anxious because of it and i'm trembling a little because I am nervous.

When I am awake I don't have any pulse or surge feelings and I feel generally ok, Its very disconcerting to lay down and all of a sudden have these surges that seem to have no trigger. Even when I am not anxious they still happen. 

Excercise and stress relief seems like it would be the smartest course of action and I plan to try my best to achieve both. I want to have a very long life to raise both of my children in, this is a scary feeling and It only makes itself worse. 

I am relieved to know I am not alone. I want to be a happy person again, I miss that part of myself. This person that is afraid of daily activites and afraid of going to sleep is not how I want to spend the rest of my life. Together we can all overcome this.

• Posted

Hi. Don't worry too much. A good deal of people are reporting the same type of thing here. My events seem to manifest themselves pretty closely to yours. A head rush adrenalin type thing bursting out of nowhere in my sleep. It can be very intense and as with you my pulse which I thought would be racing was a sleepy 58 or so. My events are declining in both severity and frequency. No comfort for you I am sure but it does perhaps demonstrate that just as this came so will it go. When mine became unbearable (just as you) I avoided sleep for 4 days eventually having some sort of seizure. I got some 5mg diazepam from my doctor as I have a seizure (mild but unpleasant) every 12 years or so and these take the edge off of the events. As I was also having day seizures whilst having head rushes at night I took some before going to sleep. This forced me to fall asleep although a couple of time they still woke me. After discussing My situation with a mate who is a psychiatrist and who gets many referrals from Epileptics thinking they were bonkers he suggested they might be night seizures. A seizure can be anything from simple déjà vu to full on uncontrollable shaking on the floor.  He suggested that I take some diazepam at night for several nights (I had 3 tablets left) one per night. His theory was that this might beak the cycle. I have to report that I think it did. The symptoms are less severe and less frequent. I am seeking 10 more diazepams and intend to take one a night for 5 nights. Perhaps suggesting to your doctor that you try this might work for you as well?  Don't stress mate. 
    • Posted

I worry non stop, my daughter will be born in 7 weeks. I don't know how to shut off the negative thoughts. I'm fine once I am asleep, but when i lay down to sleep I get overrun with these pulses. I'm trying to be positive and believe I am ok and that i will be ok. Its hard to think that this can be ok, I am going to the doctors in the morning, No seizure's thank God but I just want to feel better. I want to live out my life and raise my children. I need relief
    • Posted

Do you take any anti-depressants? This what was causing mine! I have no doubts about it.I only took mine for a month and had some brain zaps. When I quit taking them I had a few from withdrawals. Now one week after stopping I've had no brain zaps just every other day feeling a little bad with I ear ringing. I firmly believe in one month I will be back to my old self. I was put on the anti-depressant for stress now I take a Xanax when I need it.I feel for you because I was that person dreading going to sleep.
    • Posted

No, I don't take any medication, I don't drink/smoke/drugs of any kind. Up until losing my job last year I had never even experienced anxiety. It has really been a difficult year for myself. I'm always an extremly happy and outgoing person, lately that person has started to go away, I am positive about the future and look forward to the coming days with my family but I guess Adulthood caught up with me and Its possible this is what is causing my problems. However I can't stop thinking they are life threatening, I'm not depressed, i am deffinitly stressed out. My mother also suffers from these issues and a lot more issues on top of them. I know its good to know she can live with them and that brings me little, but not much comfort.
    • Posted

Stress and high blood pressure has ruled my life forever! Xanax and Ambien talk to the doctor that's taking care of it for me. I'm divorced with two kids one in college and the other one 10. So I know stress my friend. I hope things get better for you.
    • Posted

I just got back from the Dr. she immediatly suggested Xanax. Citalopram as well for the long term. I'm not looking forward to taking drugs but if it will help then I am willing to give it a shot. I was never the type of person to hide my feelings or keep anything from my family, I knew something was wrong right away and I needed to control it now. I hope that this will lead to a quick recovery.
  • Posted

I thought this was interesting. This is what I took took. Published yesterday3/25/15. I'm off the Meds now and I'm having a few side effects withdrawal probably. It's been a week so for but I'm improving.

Seizures induced by selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) use are rare and are more likely to be linked to larger doses and severe symptoms (such as those present in serotonin syndrome), but a new case study in the journal Pharmacotherapy described a patient that developed seizures after vilazodone treatment was initiated.

Some case reports have described seizures that are believed to be associated with use of SSRIs, buspirone, or the combination of these agents, but these include confounders like co-ingestions and doses exceeding FDA recommendations. Vilazodone is a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor + 5-HT1A receptor partial agonist indicated for the treatment of major depressive disorder.

A 22-year-old female patient with a history of seizure disorder presented to the emergency department after experiencing a seizure prior to her arrival and one three days prior. Before this, her previous seizure had occurred eight years earlier; her recent seizures included preceding leg cramping that turned into generalized tonic-clonic movements. Each of the recent seizures was brief and stopped spontaneously. She had discontinued use of phenytoin for seizure control more than five years prior at the recommendation of her neurologist but her primary care physician was in the process of titrating up her dose of vilazodone for her major depressive disorder. After taking 10mg/day for one week, followed by 20mg/day the following week, she experienced the first seizure in her third week of treatment with 40mg/day. After reviewing the laboratory results and patient vital signs, it was determined that vilazodone had likely lowered the patient's seizure threshold and caused the breakthrough seizures.

Recent research has suggested that selective SSRIs may have both anticonvulsive and proconvulsive properties due to multiple mechanisms via serotonin 5-HT3 receptor activation (anticonvulsive), an increase in -aminobutyric acid release (anticonvulsive), and an increase in nitric oxide synthase (NOS) activity (proconvulsive); the increase in dose of vilazodone could have caused the patient to enter to proconvulsive phase of biphasic mechanism. Clinicians should be aware of the potential for seizures with vilazodone treatment in patients with a history of seizure disorder.

• Posted

I've been getting these recently, but mine are painful and during the day my head has this funny feeling in it. I'm happy that I'm not the only one that has been doing this. Thanks for posting!
  • Posted

Hi. Just for clarity, the electric shock is certainly not the same as the episodes some people get where they enter sleep and get jolted- some describe it as a feeling of falling or experience an involuntary muscle movement like a leg kicking out etc.

These electric shocks are very different to that. Usually accompanied by a loud, ever increasing ringing in the ears which culminates in a surge in your head, just like a shock.

I experience both types, the entering sleep jolt as well as electric shocks and they are vastly different.

• Posted

I also have these electric shock zings with intense ringing in my ears that wakes me in the night. It started 6 months ago and has increased from once every couple weeks, to 4 or 5 nights a week. I've had CTs, MRIs, EEG, ECG, tried amitriptyline, alprazolam. NOTHING helps. It's to the point that I hate going to bed at night. I've also started having headaches almost daily, feeling a fullness in one ear, and a dizzy or lightheaded sensation most days. I'm a 43 year old female, and I feel like I'm losing my mind. Are you still experiencing symptoms, and did you get a diagnosis?
  • Posted

Wow! So glad I found this site. I typed in question (what kind of signals go off in your brain when you go to sleep?) into google. This has been happening to me on and off for a year now and I am not crazy or alone. I copied the survey above and will answer it to the best of my ability so we may all try to find a common thread

1. Gender, age, 

Female, 52 years old

2. Previous health status

Excellant health with no known health issues. Get an occasional cold every two to three years that a few cups of herbal tea takes care of. I am retired, have no anxiety or financial worries. I have a good healthy relationship with my husband. We live by ourselves with a cat. I do not over exert myself, but get normal exercise. I am of average weight and eat a pretty good mixed organic and normal diet. i don't drink soda or indulge in junk food and I drink plenty of water. Do not drink or use recreational drugs. Use organic soap, shampoo, deoderant. Use only organic cleaners.

3. Usual medication

I take no medications except for a rare occasional 325 mil asparin

4. Events prior to the start of the 'head rushes'

My electric shocks happen just before I feel like I am falling asleep, they seem to start from the inside of the top of my head and travel down my body, sometimes so strong it will jolt me, or make a limb jerk, sometimes they are very weak and stay kinda in my head like a small static shock. Sometimes I will get a couple of small ones, and sometimes I will get 1 big one. It seems my brain feels, I wannna say a little sluggish right before it happens, but after they happen I feel almost energized and wide awake.They seem to happen more frequently or stronger if I stay up too late and am super tired before I try to go to sleep. I do not use a cell phone at all, nor do I watch a lot of TV, or watch TV at night, but I do use a laptop before going to bed, which I sit on a table in front of me. I used to play some video games on my computer before going to bed, but stopped several months ago as the shocks seemed to be more frequent and stronger when I played the games.

5. Any unusual medication or drugs prior to 'Head rush'

None

6. Circumstances of first event

Seems they started to happen last year  after being knocked down to the ground by a dog. I fell kinda hard and twisted my ankle and my neck was sore like I strained a muscle or pinched a nerve in my shoulder and neck area.  I did land  on cement with the palms of my hands hitting the ground hard.

7. Ongoing pattern

It seems if I go to bed before I am actually tired and read my nook to fall asleep so I don't anticipate the shock that might be coming,  the shocks seem to not be as frequent,or I don't get them at all. If I go to bed late or try to stay on the computer for a long time( I do ancestry research) they seem to be stronger or more frequent. They did seem to be less severe and less frequent for a few months when I went to the states for 9 weeks and while there I saw my brothers massage therapist  3 times

8. Medical tests you have had confirmed as negative

No medical tests done

9. Medical tests you have had confirmed as positive

No medical tests done

10. Any influencing factors that you have spotted either positive or negative

I think I might have answered this above but positive influencing factors to reduce the shocks  seems to be to go to bed before I feel really tired, and not to overstrain my eyes or shoulder and neck muscles at the computer. Also the message therapist seemed to have helped reduce the strength and frequency of them for a little while.

11. General thoughts

I feel like it is like a rubber band that builds tension and then snaps and sends a shock wave through you. I thought maybe at first I had a tumor or something in my head, but I never went crazy with that thought, or going to a doctor. (Glad I didn't waste my money there)and then I tried to research it without much luck, and then tried to analize it by paying attention to the patterns. I see now we all may have a common thread. Do you think it could be nerve related as in pinched nerve, or muscle related? Could it be a nutritional deficiency? Someone mentioned they were B12 deficient. I eat dairy, eggs, fish and meat, all good sources of B12. Did research on B12 deficiency, and some peoples symptoms might match that, but I just experience the shocks, and it makes no mention of electrical like shocks and mine have improved with massage and less neck and eye strain. It obviously is nothing serious, as I am living proof of that, and live a normal stress free life in spite of these shocks.

• Posted

Hey Sherri, it's strange but I feel like after 2 months of searching I found my people. I'm having the same issues but honestly with only 2 months of this, I haven't been able to notice a pattern just yet. Like you, I live relatively stress free(I think). Great frienship/relationship with my wife, 5 healthy kids, I'm a leadership coach so I mostly work from home The only thing I notice is i always have extremely colorful and imaginative dreams which must mean I'm entering REM sleep. Anyway, hope you find something. Thanks for posting.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.