Electric heating pad

Posted , 8 users are following.

This may seem obvious but I just wanted to throw it out there.  I have been icing icing icing to numb pain and reduce swelling.  I broke out an old electric blanket heating pad and in between ice sessions, I am able to warm not only the knee, but ESPECIALLY the surrounding sore muscles, tendons etc.  I apply it to my lower back and hip on the affected side and the results have been really good.  I am able to relax and get better range of motion and my stretching exercises are easier with "pre-heated" muscles.  Hope this helps and best of luck.  Note: you can burn yourself with these so don't fall asleep on it with bare skin et al.

4 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

My physio guy used heat on me as well.  I found it very helpful.  I know some  techs don't use heat though.  I had a bag I used in the microwave...  When my staples were removed I found a warm bath very relaxing...  
    • Posted

Very carefully, using my unoperated leg as my strong one.  I found heat was nice my my leg before exercising it loosen the muscles for stretching.  I Slso used a warm facecloth in the tub to rub and massage my scar.
    • Posted

You're not kidding, "very carefully".  I could usually get into the bath - it was getting out that was troublesome.
    • Posted

Luckily my tub seems a little low, but a bath seemed worth any extra effort....
    • Posted

I used to sit on the side and swing first my good leg and then the operated one over.

Getting out involved standing up so I needed to push up on my arms and then bad leg out first making sure it was safely and securely on the floor before lifting out the other.

Non-slip mat in the bath.

It was so good to be able to soak in the heat!

• Posted

Its lovely isn't it! I got in ok but getting out was a real problem. My husband came to help me and we were both weak from laughing. Worth it for the relief from stiffness tho lol
  • Posted

Every time I went to physical therapy they had me lay with my thigh on a heated pad before starting the actual therapy.  While laying on the pad I raised my leg as far as it would go for about 10 minutes.  After that I was much more relaxed and able to do the exercises they required.
    • Posted

I am doing some pre op exercises in my my warm bath ith no pain at all!
  • Posted

Thanks Sky

i used to do this with a heat pad a while back and had forgotten. I'm going to dig it out again for my sore muscles!

Suzi. 18 weeks tomorrow

• Posted

Always thought that heat is good for stiff muscles, ice-packs are fine if knee is swollen and sore but general stiffness heat and exercise works every time. 
  • Posted

I only used ice in the hospital and in the first couple of weeks. After that I found a hot water bottle the best thing for all the aches and pains, shifting it around from knee to thigh to back etc.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.