Electric nerve type pain before hip replcement

Posted , 4 users are following.

i am a 70 yr old male, I have Ostioarthritis in spine, lower back and hips, never had pain in any of the above until I had groin strain in turn an X Ray showed the above and needed a new hip, main problem is I only have this electric shock type pain that runs down the front side and underneath of the affecting side, it isn't there when I sleep only when I turn over in bed,been on pain killers incl Morphene patches but nothing is helping, walking with one stick and can't walk far,hip opp March 3 rd,this is all driving me mad and getting my wife down too, so can anyone tell me if they have had pain like that and it had it gone once new hip was in?we can't seem to find out, had this since Nov Last yr, having to go private cause he can't stand it much longer and NHS can't give us a date.many thanks.

2 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Keith,

I'm no expert but it sounds like you're describing nerve pain to me, maybe a nerve that is being pinched when you move.  Apart from lower spine and hip I also have OA in upper spine and have had that 'electric shock' feeling down my arm, plus numbness from time to time.  Also down the front of my thigh occasionally, which I hope will go away when I get my new hip.  I also get what I call 'toothache' in my thigh, I'm told this is referred pain.  Goodness knows how many bits are affected by crumbling joints but I'm certainly hoping a new hip will cure most of mine.

Cels x

• Posted

Thanks for your help, I don't get any back pain and no numbness anywhere, a little dull ache in the hip which I can put up with, have emailed the surgeon's sectauary today to ask her to ask the surgeon about this and hope he say it will be gone afterwards, when I had my first meeting with him he said it was bebcacuse I was walking bending over, so I don't know, I am a builder so usually very active and before the groin strain( which we now know was the hip) I hadn't had any pain anywhere even though the X Ray show all the Ostioarthritis .

i do hope your pain will go soon, when do you have your opp?

• Posted

I'm told my op should be in March,. but that was just from the orthopaedic waiting list secretary, I'll believe it when I see it in writing!  I thought I'd pulled something in my groin - that was my first experience of hip OA and I just thought it would go away.  I'm about 2 1/2 years on from that now and the pain travels around my hip and up and down my leg in many shapes and forms.

There'll be loads of others along to give you help and advice Keith.  If you're new to the forum stick around.  There's so much support on here, from the first twinges, to pre-op, through the operation and afterwards.  They're a smashing bunch cheesygrin 

• Posted

I often get that type of pain randomly or if i put weight on the side. Eg if i go to step on that side and so on. Im 20 and have OA in my hip and issues with my back and knees. My op is on the 29th so im hoping it will remove pain from my hip and back (spines curved due to hops being lop sided)

Best off luck for the 3rd

• Posted

Oh that is young, it's good to talk to other people who has the same thing,yes walking lop sided doesen't help it put a strain on other parts, I have been taking Gabapentin for nerve pain but hasn't done anything, like as it's said it must be the nerve pressing on something.
    • Posted

As far as im aware im one of the youngest on this discussion but i get the feeling some people dont take me serious 😂

Shame the meds dont work? Sometimes takes a few weeks to quick in or they just dont work haha

• Posted

My wife swear by Actipatch for arthritic pain and wear her's every day, couldn't do without it, she bought me one so am trying that, £19.99 from Boots, all the best Sarah.
    • Posted

Oooh, that's interesting and something I'll look out for.  I've not heard of them before but I'll give anything a go.
    • Posted

Ohhh id give them ago but at the moment im lacking money and since my op is only a few weeks away ill just struggle on haha. Best of luck to you too. Keep me updated please?
    • Posted

I'm pat Keith's wife,yes will keep in touch, this has stressed me out watching Keith in so much pain, am pleased we have found this site from a lovely lady off Streetlife,take care.
    • Posted

This site is amazing. Lots of useful information or people to listen to you moan when your having a bad day. You even make good friends to.

Its hard watching your love in pain I know from experiance and i know my partner struggles to watch me in pain. If you ever need anyone to talk to as this is just as hard on you feel free to message me x

• Posted

Your 'electric shock pain' sounds like my 'lightning bolt' that I had from OA - and since the operation I have had no more pain like that at all.  

Graham - 🚀💃

• Posted

Yes, but the surgeon made a mistake, and put the ceramic insert in crooked.  So I had a second surgery to correct it - but it failed as he couldn't budge it.
    • Posted

It was a bit of a blow, as was having to go through recovery just 10 weeks after starting the first recovery.

So tomorrow I will be 5 weeks and 15 weeks post-op.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.