Electric shock sensations in ankle

Posted , 5 users are following.

So I am two days away from having physio start on my ankle that I had an avulsion fracture of the lateral malleolus in two years ago.  I have been wearing a brace, have had ongoing pain, weakness and stiffness.  Recently though I get these really weird shooting sensations, not so much of pain, but it's almost like a foot spasm and like someone is zapping the left side of my ankle, had it a few times today?  Any ideas, should I bring it up with my physio? 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

The shooting, zapping pains are totally normal. I am five weeks out from surgery and have been experiencing the same thing. I started therapy last week and was told that those types of pain are the nerves trying to reconnect.  It’s a good thing, painful, but good.  I call then the “shooties” and sometimes they can be very intense but once I learned that it was normal and good. I felt much better about them. Do you also have a burning type of pain? If so, those are also nerve pain and ok.  Parts of my foot are still totally numb so I welcome the idea of getting some feeling back.  Hope things go well for you. 
    • Posted

Monique I'm 7 yrs post surgery from fractured ankle and "shooties" are present still and numbness 

• Posted

Qski,    7 years!  Holy Cow!   I know it’s a long process but I wasn’t thinking that long. I also have a ton of hardware in my ankle I don’t get good answers from my Dr , so have been relying on my physical therapist to answer the questions I have.  Have you had much other pain? How is your walking? Any limitations?

Thanks

• Posted

Same here have all of this. Great post. Definitely tells people about what happens after or If surgery. Hope you get well soon.
  • Posted

Gremlin 168 I have lots of hardware from my ankle  fracture and the past yr I'm having that same electric feeling. Not getting any explanations why

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.