Electric shocks/brain zaps when falling asleep!

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi

Over the last 4 days I have been getting these brain zaps/electric shocks as I'm falling asleep. These are nasty, just as I'm falling asleep it feels like I'm being electrocuted, I jump and wake up, hearts going mad and I don't want to go back to sleep brlecause as soon as I get comfortable I can feel it building up to zap me again.

I have been reading up on it and trying to pinpoint the reason why..

I've only had this twice in the past over 8 years ago in/after Ibiza. After doing lots of pills and md this is something that happens apparently. 

I think it could be one of the following 3...

I did have a big benzo habit for around 4 years which was around 200mg a day Valium. I am finally of them after an 8 month taper.. it's been about a month since I took my last 2mg. I have had no side effects since I stopped a month ago.

Could it be this?

I am also on the antidepressant sertraline. 100mg a day, for the last 9 months. I tried to cut down to 50mg when I stopped the Valium a month ago but I think it was to soon to the Valium and I couldn't sleep/felt anxious. 

I have been taking the normal 100mg after two failed attempts of cutting down to 50mg but this was around 4 weeks ago and haven't felt any side effects.

The last one is a problem I've had for years now and that's Coke, most weekends, around 2 grams a week. (While this is obviously bad, again I've never had any really bad side effects, especially like these brain zaps) 

Has anyone had these shocks before? Anyone had them in my situation on any of the above?

Any advice or ideas why I'm getting g these is much appreciated.. 

I'm hoping it will just pass but it's not nice going to bed knowing I will be up for a couple of house getting these shocks every 10minutes 😩

Thank you!!

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Sorry Dave, but it's just a combination of anxiety and a reaction to the drugs you've taken. On the plus side, it's not a sign of a brain lesion. Be careful about tapering valium - it needs to be very slow. And how on earth are you getting these doses? No doctor would prescribe them.

You need to get your ducks in order if you're not to end up with permanent damage. I assume you're still young enough to do this. Seek professional help if necessary.

• Posted

Surviving antidepressants is a site where you would find people with this kind of experience.you may get solution there.
  • Edited

Thanks for the replies. 

I know, I was taking stupid amounts of diazepam. It started off taking a 10mg a night to sleep then turned into a nasty addiction very quickly. I was getting them in bulk off the street.

I was In a pretty dark place.

After seeing different doctors, local drug/alcohol team I was successful in doing a slow and safe taper over about 8 months.

I don't think it is the above causing these shocks as I have been fine for about a month since I took my last 2mg.

Maybe it's a combination of everything 

• Posted

I took only 34 mgs of Xanax over a span of 6 months. I now have brains zaps 23 days into cold turkey jump. I was prescribed Xanax due to panic/anxiety. Now I have insomnia, intrusive thoughts and brain zaps and the anxiety is worse than ever.
    • Posted

Mike, my heart goes out to you. Six months is far too long, and it should never have been prescribed for anxiety except very short-term. I despair of the medical profession sometimes.
  • Posted

Hi there

ive just been reading your post and thought I'd comment.

youve done really well to come off the Valium and at that large dose too. You've been honest and said that you bought them to increase your dose on the " black market " so to speak.

the brain Zaps you are speaking of maybe a combination of coming off the tablets and doing coke.

ive taken loads of uppers over the years. I've found my brain can't take it. I did get really bad. Not sleeping and my brain was Wiried when I wasn't on any drugs.

i wanted to say if you suffer with mental health using coke can add to you thoughts and feelings as in bringing your worst thoughts to your mind. It messes with your chemicals in your brain. It could be the after effects of the coke.

I would say to go to your drs to rule out anything un toward.

you are with a drug and alcohol team which is good( I am also) would they be able to advise you more.

i hope you get to the bottom of this and the zaps stop for you. 

Do you have help from the dr whilst coming off your tablets as you know it may harm you if you stop suddenly.

Also do you think you maybe rushing things as in coming off these meds. Maybe settle at a does and see how you are.

i really hope you get this sorted

take care Vicky.

remember you've come far to come off all that Valium

vicky 

• Posted

Thank you,

i don't go on here much anymore but when I think I can empathise or relate as many others,  i try to speak as I feel and I hope that we can help each other if we can maybe.

thank you 

• Posted

Dave,

I also get those "brain zaps" and I'm just trying to withdraw cold turkey from Sertraline. And there is also some other major nerve-wrecking drug they administered to me in the hospital ER after an accident but forbidden for post-op recovery. I'm almost certain those electrical jolts are my brain complaining that it can't find those wonderfully-soothing chemicals any more i.e. drug withdrawal. Synthesizing professional advice from presumed professionals online, the solution to avoid that electric shock stage is to taper withdrawal of any neurological drugs. The rule-of-thumb seems to be the higher the dosage you've been doing, the longer and slower the tapering off, probably months or even years in your case. Your brain will stay stoned a long time after you cease to notice any fun part of blowing it up with chemicals.

• Posted

Dave, I have had your condition for a decade. Hypnotic jerks is what they are called. We all have this mechanism. It is speculated that it used to keep our ancestors from falling out of trees. But it can go haywire for a few reasons. One is anxiety. The cause of mine is MS. You should see a neurologist who specializes in sleep medicine. Tell them what is going on. As far as the drug issues you've gone through no judgement man. I had several rough 3-5 day stretches getting off benzos before my MS diagnosis. Doctors assumed I was always going through protracted benzo withdrawal. But my symptoms started months before I ever took a pill. So advocate for yourself. Don't give up. The hard advice is that if you aren't clean you usually have to get clean and suffer to get an accurate diagnosis so you can get the medicine you need long term. Yours is probably not caused by MS. But mine was.

• Posted

I have this same issue! It's been happening on and off for about a year now. I have never taken any drugs and the only medication I take is birth control. I can never tell if it's real or if it's that I'm so tired I'm in the middle of a dream. Sometimes I lucid dream and I am in my bed and haveing these shocks continually and then I'll realize I'm dreaming and I shake my leg and I wake up. But then I fall back asleep and it happens again. It's gotten so bad sometimes that I'm scared to fall asleep. But I can't tell if it's real in my head or a dream. But I have figured out that it only happens when I'm very tired to the point where I can't keep my eyes open and then as soon as I close my eyes it starts to happen. When if first started I was scared, now I'm just annoyed and want a good night of sleep! 

• Posted

I am currently completing what's called a video EEG. My neurologist is trying to determine the source of my brain zaps. I have a fatal condition called multi system atrophy. It is in the same family as Parkinson's. I obviously take a wide variety of medications.

Does anyone know of a reason other than medication or drug related? I too am often scared to go to sleep as these zaps have become chronic.

• Posted

Dave, I have tried to quit Xanax twice and both times I got the brain zaps after about 23 days sober! As soon as i start to drift off to sleep I get zapped....every time!
  • Posted

Dave, let me know if you find a solution.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.