Electric shocks, pins and needles

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello everyone.

I have withdrawn from Citalopram after 7 years. The electric shocks and pins and needles got me more than any other withdrawal symptom.

Just to say I found warm drinks, holding a warm cup and keeping busy helped.

walking helped exhaustion and I avoided all the little things in life that would stress me ( we all have those friends/ family members hey?)

warm food seemed to help too, soups and flu remedies for aches and pains.

It has certainly given me more sympathy for drug misusers and their need to get rid of symptoms when withdrawing!

It is very manageable when you know what's happening although a bit uncomfortable.

Hope these tips help others

We are all great and being strong

Mary

3 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Thank you for sharing!  How did you feel mentally/emotionally during withdrawal?  I have tried 3 SSRIs, and had poor responses.  I didn't have too much trouble going off of them in the past, but am nervous to stop the Cit this time... yet am having worsening of depression and extreme fatigue/lack of motivation on it (just like I did with other SSRIs).

Mostly I'm nervous that I could feel worse than I do now while going off of it.

Really appreciate your post!

• Posted

Hi, Thanks for question, I feel ok emotionally/mentally because I don't have depression anymore, (thank god) my mood dropped like PMT or PMS if yr a lady you would understand I think. I had a couple of random days when I just felt yuk, and could easily rip someone's head off but it wasn't depression or anxiety it was just withdrawal

Now I'm on week 3 completely free and my head feels so clear for the first time in years.

I'm going to be careful though and step up my exercise and eat well to stay better. I have to make myself go home from work too or I get tired/stressed.

Do you mind if I suggest CBT and exercise, even walking, might help your fatigue, motivation. I'm not a doctor but if an SSRI isn't working for you it might be physical rather than mental? Also a light box?

hope you don't mind my suggestions and apologies if you have already tried everything like most of us do!

best wishes for feeling better soon and my support to you

• Posted

Thank you so much for your response, and suggestions!  I completely agree with exercise - we should all be doing it, as much as we can find time for!  I actually love exercising, and usually exercise many days of the week, although this month nursing school and taking care of my kids and house have been kicking my butt because my husband is never around. 

I've always been kind of against CBT.  My husband and I went to marriage counseling for a few months, and it definitely helped us at the time (although once we stopped going things quickly went back to the way they were before sad ).  Perhaps you are right... I should try to not be so narrow minded and give it a whirl.  Where I live, there are also few psychiatrists that will see you if you are not in their therapy program also, so I haven't seen a psychiatrist and am only treated by a DNP.  ... maybe it's time!

Thanks for your support and advice!  I'm so happy for you to hear that you are not depressed!  For most of us that have struggled with it off and on throughout life, when we are depressed, it's easy to feel like this will never end... and when we are well (at least for me), we tend to think that we are "finally over that".  You are wise to recognize that some preventative steps (health) are important to stay in this positive state!

• Posted

Its hard to think of anything when you are depressed, marriage is so hard and everything a partner does drives takes away your energy or care for yourself

When you are better you will realise how low you have been but I hope you will also know how strong you are to cope

I wanted to die, I didn't think I was a good enough mummy and I had nothing to give my husband who was his usual demanding selfish self. But he hadn't changed I had...i was ill.

If you can start just making yourself feel a bit better...a special coffee, a manicure...whatever you used to like before children, marriage and depression...it will work. It has too. But now its medicine, before it came naturally.

CBT is fab...it gives you some tools to work out your muddles in your head

You are very strong, I admire you.

Let me know what you manage to arrange. I'm in the UK and send my support!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.