Electric zaps near toes?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have been getting occasional zaps on the top part of my foot. It feels like an electric shock and I have to physically rub the area to get it to go away. Is this normal? I figured it was the nerves waking back up?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Edited

hello i still get them some times and i was told by my surgeon it was the nerves.

• Posted

I got those after all my ankle/foot surgeries. After one of my surgeries, one of my arthroscopy wounds, it felt like live electrical wires being put on my wound. The pain was unbelievable! Shot down mu foot to my toes and up the front of my calf! It took around 6 months to go. Initially, it was yelling out crying pain because it was so sudden and horrid. My foot would go dark blue, then icy white. Over time it settled down.

• Posted

I got those after all my ankle/foot surgeries. After one of my surgeries, one of my arthroscopy wounds, it felt like live electrical wires being put on my wound. The pain was unbelievable! Shot down mu foot to my toes and up the front of my calf! It took around 6 months to go. Initially, it was yelling out crying pain because it was so sudden and horrid. My foot would go dark blue, then icy white. Over time it settled down.

• Posted

I had Achilles/ bone debriedment last August and I've had them 24/7 since. I was told its nerves firing back up and have been on Gabapentin for last 3 months just to make them liveable. I was told by others it takes 6 months to a year to recoup. I was never told this by my surgeon so I'm not happy about it. I have to rub my toes and arch all the time, bought a shiatsu foot massage also that helps for a little while. at least I can walk a little more each day. good luck!

• Posted

I had an Achilles Tendon lengthening 1 year and 2 months ago. The surgery itself was the most sickening, most excruciating surgery I've ever had done because I have sciatic nerve damage as well. I had a robivicaine infusion for 5 days, but they put it in BELOW the nerve injury, not ABOVE so my pain was rating 20/10. Plus I had a PCA morphine and endone. I was vomiting and had diahorrea for days due to the pain. I was trying to rip off the cast... it was horrendous. I was in ICU for 10 days because they couldn't control my pain.

After all this, when my casts were taken off, (2 months in casts), the nerve damage to the back of my leg and foot was horrid. Touching my foot just with fabric made me dry and vomit for months. Then, the feeling started coming back, so anything on the skin was excruciating. I was already on nerve pain medication. I'd cry for hours.

Now, I only take amitriptiline. I still have issues having it touched but its better. Nerves take a long time to heal, but they do in time. It takes ALOT of patience, crying and frustration but it goes away eventually. I still have patches of numbness and my heel is still extremely painful but its generally better. My sciatic nerve issues magnified my pain massively.

Hang in there all. Best wishes

Melissa

• Edited

Thats horrible! The pain in the casts, 2 months also...were crazy...I couldnt understand why and my surgeon said they were supposed to be comfortable it was like he didnt believe me. I had 6 casts, even came back the next day for one.. I had my leg elevated and iced for 12 solid weeks because it wouldnt stop swelling and felt like it was rubbing me raw. The toes thing was immediate and still there, the heel pain is getting better but I still cant walk barefoot at all. I just started wearing socks with toes a month ago and shoes a few weeks ago. Felt supportive clogs were my life n still are most of the time and at home. I walk normally for awhile but then I start limping... This has to be better. My surgeon said its not his issue and my side affects are from having the nerve block. I call bullsh*t. My regular Dr put me on pain meds, she knows I'm not making this up. I have cried to her and the nurses. I hear ya about material touching it...that has finally started letting up. Im glad your feeling better, your giving me hope...thank you. I just wish I had known some of this beforehand. I just want to be normal. Waaaaahhhh. 😉. Thanks for reading/listening/replying.

• Posted

Thanks for getting back to me everyone! Its mostly been annoying. Its a better feeling than when the physical therapist massages the ankle. 🤣

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.