Electrical shock type pain

Posted , 6 users are following.

I broke both ankles.......left side no surgery.  I am now at 6 weeks on left side and been in cam boot the whole time.  I just noticed top of foot is partially numb and just started getting shock type pains at times if I touch the area or just random.  I had surgery on other side and get some of those shock pains, they come and go, but don't understand the shock pains on the left side since no surgery, I though shock pains are from nerves waking up after surgery.

Could it be the tightness of the boot.  Or maybe the injury itself??  I told my surgeon but he didn't say much but did say maybe it is the boot.  I am going into my own shoe in 2 weeks if my xray looks ok...which will be 8 weeks total.  Overall besides the extreme pain right after I fell that lasted about 3 days, my pains have been minimal, and random, even after surgery.  But the shocks are troubling because some are strong.  How long do they last?  Is it common??  And it is wierd because it is the top of the foot.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Yes this is normal. I'm so sorry to hear that you broke both of your ankles. I broke a left hand and my right ankle from a drunk driver hitting me head on April 22. I had to have surgery on my ankle I have a plate and four pins and it was a very bad break . I was in a boot for nine weeks and then I went into a walking boot with 25% weight-bearing for four weeks.After having a CT scan done Tuesday I was cleared to start bearing weight on my ankle and this will last for four weeks. After that I hope to start physical therapy. I am taking gabapentin for A nerve blocker and it does seem to help . My ankle that was broken still swells at times and also my foot turns purple and my big toe is numb I do know that it takes quite some time for the nerves to come back. My nurse told me today that now that I start to bear weight it may help relieve some of the nerve pain. I hope so . I sure hope you have a lot of help during your journey. I am so sorry to hear that both of your ankles are broken and here I was feeling bad for myself. Whatever you do don't rush your healing process it is better to be safe and take it easy then to push yourself and be sorry later . Good luck with everything blessings to you !

• Posted

I know how you feel having 2 broken legs at the same time. I was hit by a truck walking on January 21st. I broke my hip, pelvis, and femur on the right side. Rod and 4 screws there. My left leg is the problem child I broke my tibia and fibula with a compound fracture the bone came out the skin and thru my leather boots. I have a rod and 8 screws there. And it still hasn't healed. I have a lot of numbness where the bone came out. The top of my foot turns purple and swells so bad everyday. I have problems with my foot feeling like I stepped into a fire only at night weird right. I asked my dr and he doesn't know what that could be. I hope it's signs that it's healing. It's been 7 months since my accident. I start PT Monday and I'm scared of that. I'll keep you in my prayers this is by far the hardest thing I've ever dealt with. I feel your pain.

• Posted

Yes it's usually nerve irritation from surgery. Mine were excruciating and woke me up a few times a night. They go within a few weeks to months usually.

• Posted

Hi, wow, and I thought I ankle broken was bad. I had a lot of problems with numbness on the top and bottom of my foot and electric shock type sensations. My physio said I had skin hypersensitivity which is pretty common after hand surgery, less with ankle, where the nerves are over sensitive. She told me I had to desensitise them by stroking the areas that were numb/ giving shocks with different textured materials, - working from a feather to soft cloth to soft animals to rough cloth, for 5 minutes every hour I was awake. Sounded really bizarre but if you google it, that is what they say to do. Huge improvement within 3 days, but still some areas not getting better so I did tapping when I read about it on google, fast tapping on the area for 3 minutes at a time, and that, to my complete amazement worked on all but one toe top. 

Give it a try as it works!

Best of luck

Jane

• Posted

The top of my foot is completely numb and I get a sharp pain from one toe all the way across the top of my foot at night sometimes and the electric static.
  • Posted

Thanks for all the replies.  I am flumuxed about it because it is not the surgery side, I understood the surgery side.  I was wondering if the actual break caused any nerve damage?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.