Electronic prescription service (EPS) - good or bad for you?

Posted , 20 users are following.

Our village pharmacy which is just 200 yards from the GP surgery, has invited me to sign up for the new NHS paperless electronic prescription service.

As far as I can tell this might make life easier for the GP and pharmacist, but I don't see any significant benefit for patients like me.

Whenever the ambulance people attend or I go to a hospital appointment, they always ask to see a list of current medication. Without paper prescriptions, would we be required to keep our own up-to-date list? Seems like more bother than it is worth for us patients.

Anyone else going to sign up for this service?

5 likes, 35 replies

35 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

When I need a repeat prescription I first use the online form to request only those items I need. Will I still need to do that with the new system? Probably, otherwise the NHS will be providing loads of meds I don't need = BAD IDEA

I then collect my script from the doctors' checking that it is correct. Using EPS I won't be able to do that check = BAD IDEA

I then go to one of the 4 nearby pharmacies. Which one depends on the length of the queue and whether they have the items I need. Will I be able to do that? No = BAD IDEA

Will I have to keep my own list of meds in case I need to go into hospital? Yes, so this system is a BAD IDEA

I suppose the NHS think this will save money, but other than a small amount of paper I can't see its saving anything at all.

Will I be signing up for it? MOST DEFINITELY NOT

• Posted

The Electronic Prescription Service (EPS)

I have been using this for a number of years, but then if any person would benefit from it they wanted to test it, to see if it all worked fine.

To give people a perspective I take over 30 medications a day, 20 of these are different - all my medications are on 'Repeat'. However, when I state repeat this does not mean all of my medications are available at the same time - it is drug dependant.

Let's say I ordered for example:

Paracetamol 500mg

Class "A" Painkillers 150mg

Madopar 50mg

Now, if I ordered the aforementioned - that prescription would not be sent to the Local Pharmacy. Under Government Rules you cannot obtain any Class "A" drug through the EPS. So, straight away this defeats the object of the EPS. The other 2 medications would be on the same prescription, hence they would not go to the Pharmacy either!

When I put in a repeat prescription I have to order Class "A" Medication 5 days before or after to avoid it blocking my standard medication. This does not help when hospital Consultants change medications when one prescription has just been sent to the pharmacy. This happens quite often, then my doctor has to send a Cancellation on the prescription and put a new one through the system.

It normally takes 1-3 days to get all my medications because they would be worth money to drug dealers, so the Pharmacy no longer keeps them in stock.

A months supply of medication for me, is actually 2 carrier bags full - and even with taking all that I am still in pain but try not to show it, apart from the cramps striking me.

To me the EPS i guess has its bad and good points, but with me it is useless, because a person in my condition just doesn't benefit from it, my wife will go to the Doctors Surgery first then the Pharmacy, and even then she has to go back to the surgery.

Regards,

Les.

• Posted

I agree that this service is not fit for purpose, I ordered a Prescription from my Surgery, when I went to collect from the Chemist it was wrong, even though I had explained the correct details, I was not able to check the Prescription was correct, before it was sent to chemist. and Unable to Op out of the Service.
  • Posted

An Update on this Topic is required

I have been on the Electronic Prescription Service (EPS) for a number of years, there are many pros and cons of using this service.

To get full benefit of this service - do not use ANY online pharmaceutical company. These tend to dispatch your medications in numerous packages, which in my case was totally useless.

If you take any 'A' Class medication then you must send the prescription in the post to the pharmaceutical company, or they are not allowed by Law to dispatch them.

If you are going to use the EPS, please note that no doctor can send 'A' Class medication prescription to a pharmacy. So, you will need to ask for them via a paper prescription.

Repeat Prescriptions

When I place a repeat order for my medications, I have to wait a few days - mainly because pharmacies do not stock the medication I take, because it is expensive and difficult to get. Other medications that I take are administered by my wife, she had to take a course on how to administer the drug. On the NHS it costs £63.40 per tube, I normally go through 2 tubes in a month. Another medication I also have to take is also expensive at £38.50 on the NHS, I go through two bottles per month.

Those are just two drugs, I'm on over 40+ tablets a day on top of the previously mentioned medications.

When the EPS goes down

My medications get lost either by the doctors surgery or at the pharmacy in the same road. Every month you can guarantee it will take more than one visit to the doctors or pharmacist.

Regards,

S.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.