Elevated ALT and AST with liver lession

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have an MRI schedule for today to check up on a liver lession (1.5cm) that was found through ultrasound. I am concerned because my levels are so high. I dont have pain and it was an incidental finding because of a virus I had and wanted to make sure my stomach was ok. I am 32 , female and I am overweight (obese 245 pounds) and have insuline resistance. I havent take birth control pills in 4 years but I used to take Them.

I was looking into my history and my liver levels where low 2 years ago. Any idea why my levels are so high? Is it good that they used to be low and "recently" high. I am very nervous as you can imagine. I am still waiting on the hepatitis results.

Levels friday ALT 193 AST 99

Levels wednesday ALT 147 AST 85

Levels 6 months ago ALT 87 AST 45

Level june 2014 ALT 30 AST 13

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

You have two risk factors for fatty liver disease, or what the medics call Non Fatty Liver Disease (NAFLD). Being overweight and having insulin resistance. You can do a lot to remove the obesity risk, by losing weight. A good way to do this and also reduce your risk of diabetes, is to cut out  sugar, so that's not just refined sugar in things like biscuits and cakes and convenience foods, but also natural sugars such as fructose in fruit juice, honey etc. You also need to cut right down or cut out carbohydrates as these convert to glucose in the body. It's not always easy to do this, but there is no magic pill cure for fatty liver or being overweight, the cure is in your hands.

Hopefullynthe MRI is just to clarify that the lesions are really lesions and not anything more sinister.

Good luck, and now is the time to get healthy and get a healthy liver again.

• Posted

That should be "Non Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease", not easy to edit these posts, lol.
  • Posted

Keep in mind that the vast majority, around 90 to 95 percent, of liver lesions, in patients without advance liver disease/fibrosis/cirrhosis, are benign in nature. Let's hope that this proves true with you as well.

Have they run any tumor markers as well? Afp, CA19-9, CEA, etc? MRI is the best technology in classifying liver lesions, so your doctors are on top of things. Let us know how things progress.

• Posted

What kind of virus just a stomach virus, and do they think it had anything to do with the cyst in your liver and is it a cyst make them tell you. Do you have any digestive disorders anything else at all like symptoms. Did you have cysts anywhere else

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.