Elevated ALT & AST

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi!

Recently had some bloodwork done due to a headache I've been having to see if theres any imbalance or anything, and everything was good except one thing. My ALT and AST were very elevated at 188 & 86. ALP was normal at 48, all other metabolic panel components normal.

I just did bloodwork last December, my ALT was only mildy elevated at 59 and AST 26. Doc had chopped it up to my alcohol use at the time. I haven't had a drink since.

I have taken quite a bit of Tylenol and Aleve the last month and a half or so due to this headache BUT I hadn't taken anything for two days prior to the test. I have also never taken anything close near the daily maximum amount...

I am 5'1. 194lbs. 23 yr old female. Pretty overweight for my height. But, the last few months I've dropped 18 lbs and I've been eating very healthy. My current medications: Losartan for high BP, Vitamin D & birth control.

My doctors appt isnt until Thursday (I was able to see my results online).

How worried should I be about these numbers?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

It is possible that tylenol and Aleve may have an affect on your liver enzymes, ALT and AST.

Thts good you have lost weight and it will help your liver. 

Try to get off tylenol and Aleve will help the liver. 

• Posted

I certainly understand your concern getting your test results without seeing the doctor yet.  The ALT and AST are really compounds related to the liver and I believe other systems as well.  ALP is usually ductal and sometimes bone.  There is an ALT/AST ratio that points to alcholol though I don't know which one is higher than the other off hand.  The doctor would look at the other tests involed if you had a comprehensive blood panel which usually includes the LFT's.  That would show if anything is truly affecting your liver's ability to function. Did he ordered GGT?  That is very specific but very sensitive and could be affected by pain medicince such as what you've had to take.  Your numbers are not that high and if your other blood work is normal, I would not yet panic and see what your doctor has to say or if he even orders additional tests versus watching the #'s for a time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.