Elevated ANA & CRP, very low iron & b12, any ideas?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been in and out of the doctors non stop for the past year with extreme fatigue, profuse sweating all the time including night sweats, left sided chest pain (which also put me into emergency department), skin rashes and constant itchy skin, anxiety and GI issues. Test results show elevated ANA and CRP which continues to increase with each test, and decreased iron & b12 which is also rapidly decreasing. Dr thought I had celiac but it came back negative. He has queried lupus but my ENA are all negative. Going to see a rheumatologist (next available appointment in 2 months). I'm going into my final year of uni and just really want to get this sorted out, it is taking over my life and affecting my work, uni and social life as I have no energy what so ever. Has anyone experienced something similar or have any idea what this could be?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Yes I have similar symptoms and more. I am diagnosed with an auto immune disease similar to Lupus. Your symptoms could very well be Lupus. Raised ana is indicative of Lupus. But yes you need to see a goid rheumatologist really for a diagnosis to be made.
  • Posted

Hi Kim,

Automimmune diseases are so difficult to diagnose. Most go unnoticed even through blood test. They tend to be very symptomatic. Those symptoms often times overlap many of the autoimmune diseases out there so it takes time to pinpoint exactly the disorder you may have if any. I myself have alot of your symptoms with addition to joint pain and I've recently been diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis. Fatigue is associated with almost all of the disorders along with rash even joint pain. You are on the right track in seeing a Rheumotologist. Based on your symptoms he will run the adequate tests you need. I would try to move the appointment sooner as you are not feeling well. Your GP may be able to help with that if not maybe another Rheumotologist can see you sooner. In the meantime I would try to eat healthier and take vitamin supplements until your doctors can determine the treatment you need if any. I pray that you have anything and if you do, that you are diagnosed quickly. Best of Luck.

• Posted

i had all your symptoms and tests except b12.  very similar.  i'm autoimmune they say.  did you get diagnosed.

• Posted

Went and saw the rheumy and she didn’t seem to think it was autoimmune related - still not absorbing iron &b12 even with good diet & supplements, next stop is the GI doctor in a week.

• Posted

My mom recently had bloodwork which showed very low iron level. She has alot of GI issues as well as diabetes. Her eating habits are pretty good but can't understand why she is low as there is no bleeding. Next step is seeing a hemotologist.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.