Elevated AST, ALT, Creatine Kinase all else normal including GGT

Posted , 5 users are following.

History: 38 year old active female.  Run 50 minutes most days a week and weight train 5 or 6 days.  My AST and ALT was high so doctor told me to stop drinking and retest in a week.  THis time my AST (65) and ALT (75) but increased slightly but my GGT is normal and my Creatine Kinase is 390.  What could be causing this?  I'm scared. 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi did you ask your Dr what could be causing it, but your exercise levels are high and this could definitely be the reason, your best bet is to make an appointment with your GP and ask the question instead of making yourself ill with worry, why did you have tests in the first place
    • Posted

I had an appointment with another dr today and this one recommends an ultrasound, no alcohol for a month and repeat blood test. The other dr in this practice seemed to this it was muscle related because of my muscle enzymes being high or my antiviral medicine I am on but the doctor I saw today thinks it could very well be alcohol related. This scares the crap out of me. I have no problem not drinking but honestly would like to be able to enjoy a drink once or twice a week in my future.  And I guess I don’t want this new doctor to just blame alcohol as a catch all.
    • Posted

Also what baffles me is the GGT level is normal at 25 and all other levels are normal like bilirubin, albumin and alkaline phosphate. 
    • Posted

I agree that its more likely to be muscle related as the GGT is normal and if it was remotely alcohol related I think your numbers would be higher, there's a lot of info out there regarding enzymes increased due to exercise

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.