Elevated Bilirubin

Posted , 4 users are following.

My 27 yo son blood test came back with elevated bilirubin.  Tested negative for hepatitis will be getting an ultrasound.  Should I be worried?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

An isolated bili elevation in an otherwise normal comprehensive panel of blood labs in a young male probably shouldn't be too alarming.  It may be Gilbert's syndrome, a harmless genetic issue.  

Hope his ultrasound brings peace of mind.  

• Posted

His Bilirubin is 2.4.  All other tests were fine.  Ultrasound was today, those make me nervous because they take so long and stay in one area for so long I think something is wrong.  The ultrasound was of the entire abdomen hopefully all will be good and hear back on monday.  Thanks for you support.
  • Posted

My billirubin was more than 3 times over limit and I was diagnosed with Gilbert's. Not sure about that (I think a GP cop out) as it was less than half of that when last tested a few months ago. Suspect reduced cos of protocol I'm on for my main health issue. So I agree billirubin probably not issue. Can elevate as side effect of some medications also.

• Posted

Gilbert's Syndrome? I have this with virtually no symptoms. Other sufferers report more extensive symptoms. There is a separate section in the Liver Section of this forum which is entirely devoted to this Syndrome. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.