Elevated BP

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have always had “white coat syndrome “ rarely do I have a reading in a medical setting that is not out of range, they are always high.  I take my BP at home, usually the readings are all within range so that was my saving grace that high BP was a result of nerves in a medical setting.  But something has changed my BP has went up and my machines reflect that even at home.  13 years ago I had my aortic valve and part of the aortic artery replaced.  The surgery was a success, I’ve stadotoof checkups and taken my meds (including BP meds).  I’m concerned about the elevated readings even at home.  I just finished a echocardiogram, the dr said every thing was normal.  But he expressed concern over the elevated BP and increased one of the meds.  The only time I get a good reading is right after 30-40 minute cardio exercise.  I wait 30 minutes and usually the reading is well within range, but as the day goes on it creeps up to the mid 140s and low 150s Has anyone else on this forum had any experiences as I have described?  Besides the two meds and regular excercise I have started a deep breathing regiment coupled with meds.  I would welcome anyone’s advice if they have experienced what I have described.  Thanks for taking the time to read my post.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I get elevated bp just looking at my home machine!   This is new to me as my bp 18 months ago was within normal range.  Had a couple of high readings recently 155 but dr nor too concerned.  Going back Monday to have another chat Maybe I need the 24 hr monitor.   Not keen though. 
  • Posted

I get elevated bp just looking at my home machine!   This is new to me as my bp 18 months ago was within normal range.  Had a couple of high readings recently 155 but dr nor too concerned.  Going back Monday to have another chat Maybe I need the 24 hr monitor.   Not keen though. 
  • Posted

My girlfriend has WCH real bad. Just the sight of a blood pressure cuff sends her pulse and pressure skyrocketing. Last week her bp was 210/100 pulse was 120. She had a 24hr ambulatory Bp test and even these readings were very high.
    • Posted

Having 24 hr bp monitor test next week!   So will see what that brings.
    • Posted

She's been started on Vasotec, Lexxel and Plendhil. So her pressure has been better. I've been taking it at home. Around 136/90

• Posted

Hi mickey.

It's possible that your white coat hypertension has progressed to sustained hypertension. Home monitoring of blood pressure is a good method to detect this transition.

Proper BP measurement:

According to the ACC 2017 guidelines you should take at least 2 readings 1 min apart in morning before taking medications and in the evening before supper. Also, avoid smoking, caffeinated beverages, or exercise within 30 min before BP measurements. Ensure =5 min of quiet rest before BP measurements.

I strongly recommend that your discuss the issue with your primary care physician. Remember that you must not rely on forums.

Medical disclaimer:

My answer contains general medical information. The medical information is not advice and should not be treated as such. The medical information is provided without any representations or warranties, expressed or implied.  You must not rely on the information as an alternative to medical advice from your physician. If you have any question about any medical matter, you should consult your doctor.

-----------

Our new app, MyBP, helps your track your blood pressure. Check it out:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mediitis.bptracker 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.