elevated calprotectin 210

Posted , 3 users are following.

I went to the doctor after experiencing looser bowel movements than normal, which went on for 4 weeks. I had a couple of bouts of diarrhoea but nothing major. I was going to the bathroom more frequently, going up to about 3 bowel movements a day as opposed to 1. There was no blood and I wasn't in any great pain, maybe some cramps when I needed the bathroom but nothing I couldn't cope with. During this 4 week period there were days where my bowel movements returned to normal and then the next day I'd be having looser movements again. I have been completely fine for nearly 4 weeks and everything has returned to normal.

I went to doctor who ran tests and everything was fine (no blood in stool, blood count was fine, liver function, kidney, pancreas, everything was fine) except my calprotectin test which came back at 210. Does this mean I definitely have some form of IBD? I've been put on the waiting list for gastrointestinal as urgent appointment but the waiting time is currently 3 months, I'm already worrying and this seems like a long time to wait. I'm also worried that this could be something more serious like bowel cancer although I'm only 23. I had a colonoscopy three years ago and everything was fine then.

I'd appreciate some information on this as I'm not knowledgeable about what this calprotectin level could mean. Thanks.

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I think you need to have this conversation with your GP really. There are a number of factors that collectively lead to a diagnosis of IBD and although a raised level of Calprotectin is one of them it does not in itself give a definitive diagnosis.

If you Google Calprotectin you will find some useful information. I would not be too concerned in your current situation as your other tests came out ok however the raised level of Calprotectin is still worthy of further investigation.

If your symptoms change/develop I would  see your GP again to hasten the referral.

Good luck

Pete

• Posted

Thank you Pete! The only other symptoms I've had are a constant rumbling in my stomach, regardless of being hungry/having had food. My stools have also started to float although I've tried not to Google this because it gives me horror stories about the pancreas but they did blood tests to test my pancreas function and that was fine.

I did do some research on calprotectin but it's just all about IBD and bowel cancer. I'm trying to refrain from googling things because I stress myself out.

Thank for your reply.

• Posted

Hi did they ever find out what was wrong? I am currently experiencing exact same thing thanks 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.