Elevated D Dimer and Severe Leg Pain, Negative Ultrasound

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have been experiencing worsening leg pain over the past 4 weeks. The last 48 hours were so bad I couldn’t bear weight. I was experiencing throbbing, aching pain, as well as sharp stabbing pains, numbness and tingling. I went to urgent care, where no redness or swelling was noted and the leg hurt when pressed on (she would press behind my leg, it would hurt there and in my foot, etc.) My D Dimer result was .70mcg. An ultrasound was ordered and was negative for DVT. I was sent home with a Toradol shot and told it’s my fibromyalgia. It’s not my fibromyalgia. That hurts everywhere. This is just my leg. What are they chances they missed a DVT, what should my next steps be?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

i'd be suprised if they missed a diagnoise of DVT if an ultasound was carried out and it would be very visable. doctors have trained for year and years trust your doctor... i'm on medication for life for clotting having had dvt and pe and ultrasound and ct scans were how they found mu clots and its pretty visable on scans.

• Posted

Thank you, Beatrice. I appreciate the reassurance! No one could explain to me why I would have most of the symptoms of a DVT - did you have swelling and redness; that’s what I don’t have, (I wasn’t even thinking of DVT when I went in, but I started googling when she said that’s what the D Dimer test was for; I know, big mistake...lol) AND an elevated D Dimer, but still not have a DVT. “Lots of things can elevate that number” didn’t really reassure me. Lol. Thanks again. I wish you good health.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.