Elevated D-Dimer is worrying me but doctors aren't concerned?

Posted , 5 users are following.

2 nights ago I went to emergency for chest pain and shortness of breathe, they did ekgs, chest X-ray and blood test. Since my mother has gotten blood clots before my doctor ordered the blood test D-Dimer which sees if there is clotting in your body. She wasn't worried because I'm 18 but just to make sure she wanted the test. About 30 minutes later she comes in and says everything looked fine EXCEPT the d-dimer test and there is a possibility I could have a blood clot. I have an anxiety disorder so when she said that I nearly passed out and turned pale white and my heart rate went up to 150 they had to put an IV Of Ativan in me. I then had to get another ekg and rush to get a CT Scan. After waiting over 2 hours with intense anxiety, they told me my ct was clear and I could go home but I just couldn't shake the fact that my d-dimer was so high with no explanation. The hightest my doctor said it should reach is 500 mine was 1500! I have so much anxiety thinking they must have missed something and I'm contemplating going back to the emergency to demand them to redo the d-dimer test because I can't live with this fear of "what if" I know I'm young but I have family history and knowing that it was highly elevated but giving no reason as to why is really messing with me. Is this just my anxiety or should I go to the doctors again?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Did they do a CT scan with contrast or without?
    • Posted

they put something in me I believe through an iv that felt really warm all over my body so yes I think with contrast.
  • Posted

Have you had blood tests to check for clotting disorders? You say you  have a family history so check with you GP if you haven't. Good luck.

• Posted

I've gotten blood tests for prothrombin time, antithrombin iii activity, and plasma homocysteine a couple months ago and all were normal the negative test was from 2 days ago and that was the d-dilmer test. The doctor is trying to say how it is a sensitive test but it was extremely high which is causing me to freak out even though they assured me the ct scan is a better diagnosis.

• Posted

From what I understand, the d-dimer is a useful test to rule out clots. i.e. if it is low (below 500) clots are unlikely. You can also have a d-dimer over 500 and still not have clots. 

The key thing is that they did the CT scan, as this gives a picture of the lungs and the consultant can see if you have (or have not) got any clots. I know from my scans that the clots were easy to see. 

I would agree with Sheila that it would be a good idea to test for clotting disorders - as much as anything else, it will help calm your anxiety if that come back clear too. 

Good luck and try not to worry. A clear CT scan is a good thing.

Peter

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.