Elevated GGT

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm a 49 yr old male. Couple of months before Christmas I had a run of bad health colds, suspected UTI and Shingles which I got beginning of Decemeber. My doctor suggested I have some blood tests which showed slightly elevated liver function. Now 2 months later I had another blood test and they came back showing a very slight improvement in one area of liver function but the previously untested GGT was at 72 and my doctor said it should be 50. He recommended that I come back in about 4 months to retest. I'm for the last couple of weeks back into an excercise regime as I'm trying to lose some weight slowly. I've read one can up their intake of protein (eggs, tuna etc) to try and improve their GGT. I won't be waiting for 4 months to retest as I'm a little concerned so will recheck my GGT in about a month.

I would be interested to hear comments from others or suggestions please. 

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Milk Thistle is one option. It's an herbal remedy that is extremely good for the liver. It contains silymarin. They've even made a prescription quality drug based on it. Um, one caveat is you should discuss it with your doctor first if you take medications that warn against grapefruit juice interaction, because it has a similar effect. 
  • Posted

Hi I'm also in the process of having ggt checked as i had bloods done September after a bout of colitis and it was 92 two weeks ago it's gone up more really freaking me out at 180 but liver function test was normal, gastro entologist said liver disease,so more bloods today to check broader field, you know aanything else?
    • Posted

I'm confused how can your liver function be normal and your GGT be out of range. They are one and the same surely??
    • Posted

I asked the same question and I'm told that until recently ggt wasn't a test that was done every time so like me liver function was done and normal always and now they did ggt and got to monitor it to see if it goes down, crp was 12 then but down to 9 now so that was the only odd one,
  • Posted

High GGT can be related to high alcohol intake ...so be careful with the garge
  • Posted

Hi can anyone help, i had blood test done for liver,i had a phone call from Drs receptionest saying it has come back abnormal and i have to go back in months time, but in the month im not aloud alcohol.I was in the shower so i didnt ask any questions( I no silly me)now im panicking,i dont drink alot and the last drink i had was on holiday, so had a few more,like ya do lol, that was over 2 weeks ago, so surly this wouldnt show up. I have been taking milk thistle for 2 weeks do you think this would affect the test x
    • Posted

Hi trudy...why did you have the blood test done for liver in the first place...it could be something other than alcohol so they may be just telling u not to drink so as to eliminate that possibility and then they'll prob do bloods again..have u a history of liver problems...there are loads of reasons why ur results are abnormal and it may be nothing too much to worry about
    • Posted

HI Carol, i have loads of different things going on, my imune system must be up the shoot or its all hormonal. I went to Dr in a right state and demanded blood test to find out if anything was wrong.They all came back normal apart from the liver and bones, thats all i know and i have to have more.I have never had any problems with my liver,so its a mystery.Im going to phone dr and ask for more details as i cant wait for a month worrying.I let you know how it goes

Thanks xx

• Posted

You poor thing Trudy...yes your right to push for more info...its  all probably nothing to worry about and the sooner you know the better so you can stop worrying...let me know how u get on xx
  • Posted

Hi there

What is GGT have done liver test and my ALP was 123 about 13 more than it is supposed to be all other blood test normal eg FBC, Vit D 48, Iron Normal,  6 months prior it was 113,  I am 22 yrs old this was done last yr , Dr said that because i am growing that is why it is high, however when my dad had his done his ALP was 127 and as he also had a stomach bug his WBC was 14, about 4 high and the dorctor was talking about other issues, that frightened us, when we went back to see gp, she was not that oncerned and said to wait and do another blood test on Tuesday, My dad has an aneurysm wit thrombus on stomach nd going in for an operation   He is on high blood pressure tablets why is it high is it something to be concerned about

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.