Elevated liver function help!!!

Posted , 6 users are following.

I went to the doctors today nothing to do with my liver I ended up in a+e last week due to panic attacks from anti depressants, they did blood tests ecg etc I was told I was fine. My doc looked at my results today and said "your livers off whys that? I'll chase it up" he told me not to worry and that they shouldn't have even done it because I was tested in July and it was perfectly fine. I saw a number in the screen it was 74 can't say what it was though. I am anaemic but he said these things happen it's probably just a glitch and not to worry. Should I be worried? I'm so scared I'm going to die!

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Your doctor clearly didn't think you were about to die or they would have reacted differently.  Also with liver damage that is serious more than just one test is abnormal. Can I ask why you have regular liver function tests and what are the doctors looking out for. 
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply means a lot!

I had an episode of what o I think was SVT 2 months ago (rapid heart rate) but they didn't catch it, from there they found I was anaemic and put me on iron, anyway, I've been worrying about my heart so they gave me anti depressants but they made me have terrible panic attacks so come off them! I had blood tests at the hosp and they tested my liver function even my gp doesn't know why and says they shouldn't have! Will I be ok? Everything else was fine x

• Posted

Some drugs can alter your liver function test results. Even paracetamol! Some are effected by eating a fatty meal etc. so if your dr isn't worried (when mine were high the Drs were flapping around and sorting ultrasound scans etc) then you should be too worried about it. As a rule your liver function should be tested again in a couple of weeks to a month to see if the number has come down to normal. I have mine checked every 2-3 months at the moment.

You are allowed to ask your dr for the results. Each specific thing is related to seething specific within the liver. And several numbers going up a certain way or going down can all mean something. So it's better if you know what number you are talking about. I had raised ALT/AST then wen then went to normal I had a constantly raised ALP but my GGT was normal meaning that my ALP wasn't coming from my liver. As I said you need to know number and what it was for.

Sorry can't be more help. But try not to worry.

Gem

• Posted

Tell your doctor you want to know the reults of your test.. I get mine one line. And check out the side effects of any medication you are on.. Plus, like mentioned if your Doc is not worried you should not worry either. I know that is hard to do, but I bet if you goole side effects of your meds, it will say can effect some liver test.. 

• Posted

I'm sick of googling things it makes it all worse lol I was having a panic attack when they took my blood maybe that affected it too! I've got a baby girl so I'm desperate to be ok! My anxiety has gone through the roof this last 2 months so I'm having CBT to help x
    • Posted

How old is your baby? Mine was 2 months old when my results were high. But it was because of pregnancy that they were high.
    • Posted

She's 7 months now so was only tested 2 months ago and I was fine! X
  • Posted

What antidepressants are you on among other medications that are hard on your liver look into all those and yes he should be checking your liver no matter when it was done last if your numbers are off and I wouldn't be that concerned if that's the number I'm thinking if it's anywhere over 50 can read as hi but they don't worry about that number if its a number I think it is until it gets like 150 or above so no I wouldn't worry too much right now but try and get your anxiety under control other ways those SSRIs and all other stuff are bad on your liver. But what is a+e , and are you a heavy drinker and or drug user
    • Posted

I just read through the other comments and didn't do that first obviously you're not a drug user or drinker if you just had a baby so didn't mean to imply anything it's all pretty vague on here. Stop worrying
    • Posted

I was on sertraline for 2 days then came off them and that's the day I was tested so I suppose it could be that! A+E ER? No alcohol or drugs or nicotine x
    • Posted

Well only being on them two days probably would not have affected your liver but you could have had a what they call untoward effect and it could actually cause anxiety a lot of those meds do that if its not the right one for you I think sertraline did the same damn thing to me and had to switch I've been off that stuff for probably 8 years now though just learning to destress and try and work through the stress I worry about my liver and what they're going to find with my blood test coming up here soon as long as everything is pointing in a good direction I guess I can deal with it of course I'm scared I'm going to get some bad news anytime soon myself so good luck to you hang in there.
    • Posted

I've looked on google and it says that until sertraline is in your system properly it can cause liver functions to go up in numbers so I'm thinking along those lines now! I'll find out next week it seems so long away! I'm sure you will be fine! Everyone says just get on with your life and love for today be happy but it's hard isn't it! I will try my best it's difficult with anxiety though xx
  • Posted

Hope everything is fine my salt levels is high everything come back negative so I have to have a liver biopsy

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.