Elevated liver readings and lump / bulge under right rib

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello, i'm mid 40's and have drunk excesively for many years. I had a routine blood test about 3 months ago, everything was fine but some sort of liver level was up. Went to see the doctor and he said it wasn't up massively and no need for a scan at this stage. He said have another blood test in 6 months.

I have since cut right down to 2-3 cans of lager a day (from WAY more). For the past couple of months i've been feeling a discomfort in the RHS under my ribs and it would seem swollen to me. It may be because i'm fat but just worries me that this slighty larger squishy bulge on the RHS is larger than the LHS.

I have horrendous skills at altering images but have drawn a line around it.

I'm also bloated a lot, some days fine the others more. I haven't gone yellow and my stools are a normal colour.

Any tips greatly appreciated as i'm in panic / anxiety mode at the moment.

Many thanks.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

your liver is enlarging! Mine enlarged and made a weird feeling directly under my ribs as it enlarged to the left. 26 cm from the right midclavicular for years probably about the past 25. having fat in it is what will make it enlarge. In the past 4 years it enlarged on the right coming down between my abdominal wall and my colon pushing everything to the left. Had and still have bad swollen feeling in abdomen. It is from the liver pushing over and down on everything. Don't let em tell ya it is just gas cause it isn't. i would get a CT scan now so you can see just how big your liver is. I was a heavy heavy drinker from the age of 13, i am 53 now. I went mental when it all first happened too. lost my appetite also.

• Posted

If that's what it is it's easily reversible if you stop drinking for 6-12 weeks and don't eat fatty,sugary and starchy food. Google fatty liver/steatosis. If you don't it can lead to cirrhosis in a few years. Don't get too worried but you have to change. Find out the exact numbers of your liver(LFT)test,particularly the ALT. If your doctor isn't panicking,it's normally a good sign.

• Posted

depends on how fatty it is and enlarged. I haven't drank anything in 2 years and still have a enlarged fatty liver. with fibrosis. exercise every day and everything. depends on how long you've had it how long it takes to reverse.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.