Elevated PSA and just diagnosed with cancer .Freaking out!

Posted , 16 users are following.

I had 2 elevated PSA readings then had it tested and they found multiple cancer cells in the prostrate that has not spread.They want to remove the prostrate.I am very anxious.I also have a consult for chemo but my urologist thinks the removal of the prostrate will be the best way to go to entirely get rid of the cancer.Anybody had this done.Is it painful? They will be using robotic arms or scope .What are the after efx of this surgery?Freaking out!

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Edward - Been there and done that. I had planned to treat my early stage cancer with the proton delivered radiation, but circumstances required that I have mine removed and I had the Da Vinci Robotic procedure - you can read my story and the lessons I learned on my original post here. About the Da Vinci - there were 4 very small incisions across my stomach and a little larger one in my navel - no real pain and it healed very quickly. I was up ,walking and sent home the next day. Mine was in late October and we hosted 14 for Thanks giving.

I was lucky and had no complications - one might be incontinence and another might be needing a catheter long term. From what I have read, the skill of the surgeon and their familiarity with the procedure is paramount to avoid these. Do your research to find the doc who has done a lot of these! If you are in a metro area, sometimes local lifestyle magazines profile the city's top docs. I live in Atlanta and lucked into the a doc that was chief of both Urology and Robotic Surgery at Emory Hospital as well as being Chair of Urology at Emory Medical School. Do your research and get a second and third opinion.

Ultimately I was completely healed at 2 - 3 months, and only missed a couple of weeks of work. My name - NoRegrets - says it all. It is behind me, I can pee when ever I need to or want to, no more biopsies and no more shoving things up my business.

I feel for you. Don't freak out, you will find that there is a lot if help out there.

• Posted

Hi ED

The first thing you have to do is to take a deep breath .

get all the facts and think twice about a radical procedure

1 find a good urologist

2 get a biopsy

3 get an MRI

4 get a bone scan

5 get the facts to where the cancer is and at what stage

6 you must be your own advocate in this

you can text me if you wish

I had stage 3 tc biopsy gleason 9 on all 12

I hope this helps

• Posted

i opted for seed implant radiation 10 years ago and now apparently has come back, so in hindsight i wish i wouldve had it removed.

• Posted

Kevin,

So now you have a big decision to make. The doctors can remove your prostate but it is now more difficult after the prostate has been radiated. You will have to discuss all options with your uro. If the cancer is still confined to the prostate and hasn't spread, then surgery is still an option for you. Today the doctors have meds that they can give you to help. I had radiation for my PCa 5 years ago, and so far I am cancer free, but I also wish I had gone for the removal because I have suffered from BPH symptoms.

• Posted

i opted for seed implant radiation 10 years ago and now apparently has come back, so in hindsight i wish i wouldve had it removed.

• Posted

I I had my prostate removed in 2016. I was in the hospital for two days and when I went home I had to wear a catheter for a week . Three to four weeks after the surgery I had to wear a pad. then for the next year I had to make sure that when I had to urinate that there was a bathroom close. now I have no problem with incontinence. The biggest problem is is sex. it may sound sad but I cannot get an erection naturally. and no matter what your surgeon says about his success rate and for some reason they seem to sugarcoat the fact that you probably will not be able to get an erection naturally. I can have ever have sex with the use of penile injections. the sex is very different than before but still satisfying for both partners. I felt that I had to make a decision would I rather risk dying from prostate cancer or risk a problem with getting an erection. it is a sucky decision to make but my loved ones and my significant other are happy with my decision

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.