Elevated toes after bunion surgery

Posted , 31 users are following.

Hi this may seem like a duplication of my original question.  Has anyone who has had bunion surgery had elevated toes (as well as swelling).  I had my surgery five weeks ago and the foot is still swollen.  I expected that.  However, my big toe and two of the others are elevated.  Could this be problamatic or is it just part of the healing process?

3 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Next
  • Posted

By elevated, do you mean sticking up?  Like if you look at it from horizontal view, those digits are not flat?
  • Posted

Hi Tricie YES I have this too had my OP five wks ago !! All healing well but Big toe n second toe very elevated this concerns me too !! My big toe still looks a sausage so I'm wondering when the swelling goes down that the toes will decrease !! Fingers crossed !!
  • Posted

Me too!  I'm 11 wks post op and my big toe is fine but my 2nd toe which had a hammertoe correction procedure is swollen, reddish at the end of the day and sticks up slightly when I'm not standing.  When I weight bear it touches the floor almost completely.  I think it's normal and will improve over time as more healing takes place.
  • Posted

Tricie Hi, I am 7 weeks post op from bunion  correction big toe with screws & 2nd toe hammertoe knuckle removed etc & your elevated toes are very normal still for 5 weeks! Each day (as the swelling on ball of foot reduces) your toes will get closer to the floor. The end of the day seems the worse time for swelling & floating toes but try to rest up & ice the back of your ankle & gradually it will improve. Take care & try not to worry
  • Posted

I'm 12 weeks and my toe is still a little raised. As the swelling under the ball of the foot goes down, so too do the toes . I'm sure you'll notice a difference in a few weeks.
  • Posted

I may be wrong but the elevated toes may be what foot surgeons term "cock-up" following foot surgery. Seriously. That's the term my surgeon used for my elevated toe and I have seen it used while looking for advice online. An unfortunate term, I think, due to the usual meaning of it.

Best wishes

• Posted

Hi, what did your surgeon do to rectify this "cock up"
    • Posted

Hi Tricie, the surgeon used the term to try and explain why the toe was elevated. She said this was a common occurrence after foot surgery and was due to the fact that the toe had been injected with anaesthetic (which seemed strange to me as I had had a general anaesthetic) and also because the toe was stiff and swollen (it was just a little swollen actually).

The surgeon said I should stretch the toe by manipulating it and that the toe would move into a better position in time. Perhaps this is what happens normally, but unfortunately my surgery has been very disappointing. It is now obvious that the reason I have an elevated toe is due to the fact that my big toe is still, after surgery, positioned behind the smaller toe next to it, forcing the smaller toe up.

So, I don't think the term cock-up applies to me. I found the information about cock-up online. I will see if I can relocate it.

Best wishes

• Posted

hi can i ask please i am 5 weeks today into recovery and 2 hrs ago had my plaster off my second toe raises and over laps my big toe im very worried . thanks

• Posted

Hi Tricie.

My big toe was elevatd. I think this is due to the im pact of the surgery as it is after quite invasive and there are nerves and tendons which will no doubt get disturberd during the surgery. I also had a hammertoe corrected at the same time as my bunion and on the same foot and this too is slightly elevated. However, this is mainly due to the fact that the surgery involved fusing the bones of the hammertoe and it now does not bend which is exactly what I expected. My consultant told me that ifthe hammertoe isn't corrected sufficiently it can just flop downwards and so the preferred option is to prevent this by fusing the bones in the toe. But, ou haven't had a hammertoe done. Anyway back to the bunion toe and the elevation ad swelling. It will improve. Well, mine has And I'm now almost 7 months post surgery. So, if I was you I wouldn't be alarmed as the swelling will definitely reduce as time goes along and the 'sausage' appearance of the bunion and other neighbouring toes will gradually return to normal. You may also experience some discomfort around 16 weeks post surgery in other parts of your foot. I went through an uncomfortable week around this tie when the top of my foot from my little toe and the one next to it was ver painful and I was icing it and massaging it with  ibuprofen gel. I realised that as I was regaining my ability to walk my foot was now having to do a lot of work after being encased in bandages for 8 weeks. The tendons and ligaments were suffering and I did panic a bit thinking that either I'd done something to aggravate the healing or, somethingsinister had happened. Thankfully, it all settled down and the pain/discomfort disappeared. So, just be aware that once you start to become more mobile you may encounter the unexpected. My toes are still a little swollen  months on. But this is reducing satisfactorily. If I'm on my feet too long and the foot becomes tired then it still swells slightly. We're getting there though. Hang on in there. I'm sure you're not turning into a mutant!

Gillian

• Posted

Hi Tricie,

Another thing I meant to mention to you in my last reply is that I had quite significant pain in the ball of my foot under the bunion toe at around 4 months post surgery. I mentioned this to my consultant and he explained that this was very likely connected to the Sesamoid bones of which there are 2 which sit under the big toe. When a bunion develops and the toe is gradually pushed out of alignment it does not sit over the Sesamoid bones as it ought to do. Followng bunion correction surgery when  the big toe is straightened it then take a while for it to sit over the Sesamoid bones and this may cause inflamation.  found it quite painful to the point where I was beginning to feel that all the good progress I was making was going pear shaped. However, I massaged the ball beneath my big to quite vigorously every day -  althoug the degree of the pain tended to vary day to day. After about 3 weeks of massaging everything seems to have settled down and the pain has disappeared. So, I am assuming that the big toe now sits whereit should once again which is overlying the Sesamoid bones.

Gillian

• Posted

Hi Tricie,My Surgery Was In June....Second Toe Still raised,Standing and Sitting,Was Told Another Surgery To Correct It
    • Posted

Hi Pa...can you elaborate on what the doctor said the problem was? smile
    • Posted

What He Said,and What I Think Are Different,He..He Did Have the Pin In Like,Like Everyone Else,and It Was Removed Appx 2 Weeks After The Stitches,Recent X-Ray Showed the Toe Was Straight,Only Lifted,Which I Never Seen a Reason for the Pin In the 1St Place,But Told Me the Only Way to Correct this Was Via a 2nd Surgerry,And I Did Go Through 2 Of the Braces He Told Me To Purchase,That Held the 2Nd Toe Down.....Healed Improperly....He Didn't Go Into Any Major Detail,..I'm a Medic So I Know I Understood Him Completely.
    • Posted

I had a corrected hammertoe which drifted up slightly (xray show corrected joint was fine)  and what solved it for me was a tendon release procedure done with keyhole methong on it 4 months after the first op (which was regular open technique). You may want a second opinion for peace of mind.  Good luck!
    • Posted

Hmmmm.....I'm thinking You May Be Very Correct,The X-ray Showed,That Like Yourself,Eferything Was Correct,and It's Straight.....Even Prior To Surgery,Never Had a problem With 3rd, or Other 2 toes,Now 3rd Toe Is Going Under 2nd One....Similiar to 2nd One Over Big To Prior to Original Surgery..
    • Posted

How far on are u now? Did they prescribe any physio? I am 3 weeks post op and my foot looked quite strange 2 weeks in but is improving as swelling settles down.they did not do Akins and I still think i may need this. I have pin in 2nd toe which was fused and 3rd toe had tendon release as did 5th toe. As I am doing more weight bearing i feel the toes are settling into more natural shape. My bunion was quite severe so guess will take some time for tissues to realign. I too am medical

• Posted

If you are a medic god help us all.You can't even spell or us english correctly.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.