Elevated toes, scar tissue

Posted , 1 user is following.

I am 5 months out of bunion surgery and am very much regretting my decision. My bone was very slow to heal so I was in a boot longer than the doctor planned (she hoped just a couple weeks, but it was nearly 9 and even when she said I could wear sneakers the bone wasn't fully healed). She also did not tell me to start manually moving my foot or toes at all until that same 9 week visit. As a result, I have a lot of scar tissue and my big toe is still jot able to touch the ground. I was going to physical therapy but they asked me to pause until I see a surgeon (there were quite a few aftercare problems so I am seeking another opinion from a different surgeon) because I was no longer making progress and couldn't handle the pain of my physical therapist trying to manually break up the scar tissue.

I am feeling very discouraged at this point - it hurts nearly all the time, finding shoes that fit without too much pain is incredibly difficult, and I haven't been able to return to any of the activities that I hoped I could do after I finally got the surgery.

I know swelling can last a long time, but has anyone else had to contend with the elevated toe due to scar tissue? Was either cortisone shots or scar tissue removal successful?

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.