Elevated unconjugated bilirubin - Gilbert syndrome or ??

Posted , 3 users are following.

Since last year I had trouble with gallstones (having attacks etc). My gallblader was full of it and was removed 5 months ago.

At that time I did some blood tests and we noticed that my Bilirubin is rising and falling, usually in the range of 2-5.6mg/dl , at one time before the operation, while I was fasting as a preparation for it, my Bilirubin got even to 9mg/dl and I was yellow as Pikachu smile And that's the total bilirubin count, unconjugated is always around 90% of it. For example, I am currently having a cold, and I tested my blood this morning, Unconjugated is around 4.8 mg/dl and conjugated around 0.5 mg/dl.

My local docs brushed it of as Gilberts, we didn't do any special tests, just the normal blood work and liver blood tests, and they all came back normal.

Can I do some more tests to rule out other possible illnesses because it seems that Gilberts gets diagnosed a lot when there are no other "explanations". The only symptoms I have is that I turn yellow and I feel a bit dizzy the day when I notice that I am having a episode of "Gilberts". I am worried because it seems that the "range" for Gilberts is between 1.2 to 5.3 mg/dl , and that my is slightly above it, and probably never goes down below 2.5.

Would appreciate any advice on what I could do to confirm the diagnosis , lower the bilirubin or talk to my doc and point something out., because it's driving me crazy.

Btw I am 28years old, Male, Europe.

THX! MUCH APPRECIATE!

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I have also faced implications of Gilbert syndrome for a prolonged time.nothing to worry about.Please check your VIT B12 & D3 level.Generally some patients having Gilbert has dizziness problem as well as low in energy.For my case it was due to low vitamin B12 level.As per GP some patients having Gilbert face low vitamin B12 problem which results dizziness and low energy.check it out and take necessary suppliments.hope it will get resolved.

• Posted

Thank you so much gablu, I will definitely try that and keep you updated. I am currently talking to some professionals to see if I can do some more tests. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.