Elevation After Ankle Surgery

Posted , 6 users are following.

I broke my ankle in 4 places and had to have surgery. How long post surgery does the ankle need to be elevated above the heart all day? I currently only have it down to go to the restroom. I'm about 4 weeks post surgery.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I would think your fine, but still keep it elevated. I'm 2 1/2 wks post op & I still keep mine elevated when sitting but not necessarily above the heart. Good luck to you

• Posted

I was told u could let it down for 1-2 hrs a day
    • Posted

That's about all I've been doing so far. Anything more I can feel the swelling. I'm just wondering at what week in recovery that will change. At this point even that seems like a luxury!

• Posted

By week three I could do a bit more plus I could hop instead of using my crutches, I'm 4 and a half weeks now and I managed a full roast and out and about iny wheel chair. 

• Posted

If it still swells when you have it down, it a good idea to elevate when possible. It will make your recovery easier if you get the swelling in check.
  • Posted

You may not need to keep it elevated high still, but you'll probably still need to keep elevated a lot. Your ankle will let you know when it's had enough and needs to be elevated. I'm 11 weeks post op and still elevate it at least some whenever I'm seated. And if it's just down for more than 45 mins or so it's letting me know it's unhappy.

• Posted

Wow! I was hoping by 11 weeks being down wouldn't be as much of an issue. Thanks for the input. 

• Posted

I started walking a few weeks ago (in a boot). The more I walk the less swelling I have over all. My job is primarily seated, so since I'm not moving it needs to be up.  If I'm standing and walking, it doesn't bother me from a swelling stand point nearly as much.

• Edited

Hi Karli,

I am 9 weeks post Subtalar Fusion.  I kept my foot elevated nonstop for the first 4 weeks.  Then my doctor had me start putting it down every so often to get the circulation working.  At that point, anytime it was down, my whole foot turned a dark purple.  I could tolerate about 30 minutes of it, just long enough to shower and rush back to the couch to elevate.  At my 6 week mark, my doctor told me to go ahead and leave my foot down most of the day if I wanted and only be concerned if I start having significant pain.  He was not concerned about the discoloration as long as it didn't hurt and it would return to normal color once elevated.  So I began only elevating my foot for maybe 1-2 hours a day.  My foot and calf began swelling when in a dependent position, but my discoloration started getting better. 

At 9 weeks, my foot no longer turns purple, but rather a dark pink which shows progress.  My foot and calf still swell after a few hours of my foot being down but it is controlled with rest, ice, and elevation.

Moral of the story, our feet will hurt and swell when used, but wont get better unless we use them.  So as long as it doesn't hurt beyond a pain that can be controlled with Tylenol and ice, I would say press on.

Good luck!

• Posted

Thanks! That's really helpful to hear specific advice like that. Good luck in your continued recovery

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.