Eleven weeks after ankle fracture

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had ankle surgery after fracture plate and screws fitted .walking with one crutch and back in normal shoe got check up at hospital next week have physio weekly been doing Moe walking and exercises foot swells up a bit still get a lot of stiffness in foot especially in morning when barefoot can walk a little without crutch around house can get up and down stairs ok holding on just wondering if stiffness is normal as I use it more just a bit worried but definitely feel I come on better in what I can now do to even a week ago .

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Congrat on your progress!!!  I am envious- and will be watching for what others have to share about what is 'normal'.   I had a bimalleolar fx and surgery- been in a cast for 5 weeks- have 2 more to go and then the boot for another 6- my understanding is I will add a little wt to the boot each week- and am looking forward to getting to where you are now!  It is hard to think of the future and walking, but I have read lots of posts where folks are back to walking w/out a limp- in 6- 7 mos- though swelling continues to be an issue.  I have wondered what kind of shoes will ever fit again!  

Will be watching the replies and sure hope things get easier for you soon.

• Posted

I am behind you still NWB but wishing you the best on your recovery. I have heard from others stiff and sore is normal once we start using it. Hang in there.
  • Posted

Yay, that's good. Little steps. I do wonder & worry too, if all the morning stiffness & swelling after use will eventually go away. Haven't started pt but looking forward to it to have a lot of my questions answered, continued progress.

• Posted

Hi Maria,

You are about one week ahead of me. My appt is next wk to hopefully get boot off and into regular shoe. Keep me posted on your progress. I am walking with crutches, without crutches, one crutch, knee scooter middle of night. Soon we can be more normal with walking. Yvonne

• Posted

I was curious about other responses too because I didn't want to be discouraging. Age and other preexisting conditions will affect recovery. I had bimalleolor fx in March with surgery an external fixator due to swelling and fracture blisters, and in April to repair. Most people mention being put in plaster cast following surgery, but I was in walking boot out the gate. Was non weight bearing for about 8 weeks and then released to 25% wt bearing for 3 weeks, then weight bearing as tolerated. Now about 3 months post WBAT.

I still get stiff if ankle is in 1 position for too long. Level of activity determines swelling too. For some reason, outside behind my ankle just wants to stay swollen. Kind of wonder if this may be residual effect from a post from the external fixator. That post was the one that drained the most.

My doc told me to expect a year for "full" recovery. Another doc recommended that I just plan to ice ankle at the end of the day for the next year.

I fractured right ankle almost 20 years ago. It too was surgically repaired. While I never recovered full flexibility, it provides the guide post for knowing I have a lot more improvement to go.

Best wishes in ur recovery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.