Eliquis apixaban any one taking them Just diagnosed with a dvt

Posted , 5 users are following.

just returned from holiday 4 hour flight while over there I had a bad leg cramp thought I pulled a muscle extreme pain went to local doctor sent me for a scan ended up in hospital for 5 days with large clot behind my knee started me on injections of clexane now home doctor has given me tablets eliquis apixaban which I start taking on Monday but not happy after reading side effects of this tab anyone taken them???

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Janet 

I had a dvt back in September last year, still don't know how I got it!

I had one injection of clexane, went for a scan and found a detached clot.

The hospital put me straight onto Apixaban. The only side affect I felt was a little tired an hour or so after taking them, but I was on shifts too, so don't know if that helped.

Apart from that I felt OK. I was on them for about 4 months, came off them and had a couple of blood tests to make sure my blood wasn't clotting, been ok since and I don't work shifts anymore, Drs were telling me it's no good for the body, so took voluntary redundancy. 

Anyway, it is a little worrying at 1st but you caught it early like I did, hope all goes well.

• Posted

Thanks for that info feel better about taking the meds now 
  • Posted

I I have been taking Apixaban for about a year and will be on t for life due to a massive dvt for which they could find no cause. I have no problems with it and never have had any. 
  • Posted

Hi Janet sorry to hear about you getting a clot from flying.  I took an unprovoked clot in Dec. 2016 in my leg from groin to ankle which then went to both lungs. Had clexanne injections for 10 days and then put on apixaban which I have been told will be for life.  Like all tablets they come with side effects but have been on them for 5 months now and apart from feeling tired more often, which could be the body healing itself, can not say they have had any bad effect.  Hopefully you will only be on them short term and make a full recovery very quickly.
  • Posted

Hi Janet,

I have been taking Eliquis for approximately 1 month and have not experienced any side effects. I've had bypass surgeries on my right leg because of blood clots. I only have 1 main artery working in the upper portion and they put a vein from my left leg in my right leg from knee down. Everything in the right leg has been re-routed or replaced .  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.