Elleste Duet

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi I'm 48 and just been prescribed Elleste Duet 1mg as I've been getting symptoms like aching joints and muscles, insomnia, heavy periods, headaches, itchy skin, mood swings, and occasional hot flushes. My GP seemed to think given my age that it was probably the start of the perimenopause.

My GP told me not to be too alarmed by the side effects, as I was a bit reluctant to go on hrt because of the health risks. I've been given 3 months worth to review at the end. She said I could take them up until I'm 51. Has anyone that is currently on them found they make a big difference and do you get any horrible side effects? Do you put on weight when taking hrt?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Yes it does make you put on weight you have to be careful diet and exercise I go to slimming world but it's hard to get the weight off

• Posted

Hi Caroline, that was what I was worried about, Im currently trying to lose a few pounds and I really dont want to put on any more weight, I havent actually started taking them yet but Im beginning to think I might not, I think Id rather try going down the natural route as my symptoms arent as bad as some women and there are other things like supplements that might be safer
  • Posted

Hi Cheryl, I'm going to see my GP this Thursday regarding the HRT and like you I'm worry about the side effetcs. Had your doctor prescribed you the patches or the tablets? Thank you

• Posted

Hi Elena, I was prescribed the tablets. But if you gain weight with it then Im a bit reluctant to take it as Im currently trying to lose a few pounds and I really dont want to gain more weight! Plus I was reading the side effects and it can increase your risk of strokes and breast cancer which really puts me off taking it! I would rather go down the natural route
  • Posted

Hi Cheryl, You can take HRT if it suits you for as long as you feel you need it. I'm 66 and been using Evorel Conti patch for over 14 years. I initially started at 52 because of the awful night sweats. Aching muscles, itchy skin and mood swings are all part of the menopause (some lucky women sail through but they are the minority) You may put on a few pounds, but if you watch what you eat you will be fine. It stopped my hot flushes within days! You will most likely get some spotting or bleeding for the first few months if you use a continous patch/tablet (Patches are better I think because they are absorbed through the skin) It is up to you which you prefer,some women prefer to take HRT that gives them a monthly bleed. It's trial and error. I have found it great for a lot of meno symptoms and I am happy to contunie with it for as long as I need it smile 

• Posted

Hi, Im still having regular periods and with the Elleste Duet I will still get a monthly bleed. Im not keen on taking it if it means I will put on a few pounds, Id rather try the natural route. I did get the prescription and it says if you are still getting regular periods you should start taking them on the first day of your bleed, so I havent actually started taking them yet but Im beginning to think I may not take them
    • Posted

Cheryl, It's how you feel about, if you are not ready then leave it. When I say a few pounds, it depends on your diet, I haven't put on any weight and have maintained my weight for years, I still have treats and eat normally.. if you decide to try it out, see how you go, if you don;t like it then stop smile You have to feel comfortable.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.