elongated uvula sore throat problem its been 5 months

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello everyone

i have had this problem in my throat that began last November 2019 i had a cold and sore throat i lost my voice at that point for a couple of days. since then its never really recovered properly i still have this feeling of a lump in the throat. over the last 8 weeks my uvula has become swollen and elongated its feels like its in my throat its also become very thin at the end and almost pointed shaped. i have seen the doctor right from the start, i was initially told its viral its viral its viral. no antibiotics had been prescribed until 16th April and they were reluctant to prescribe them. i have seen ENT who looked up nose and down throat with a small camera but couldn't see any issues he had already said that in his opinion its a reflux issue. i was prescribed lansoprazol i took them for 3 weeks and made no difference . I've had a barium X ray and a small sliding hernia was found rising into chest hence the lansoprazol was prescribed but as i said i took for 3 weeks which made no difference. my problem is worse at night the uvula swells and becomes very long . i really not sure where to go from here any advice would be appreciated. incidentally the antibiotics have helped with my croaky voice and I'm.now producing less clear sticky saliva. .

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

that doesnt sound like ACHALASIA.. sounds like if u get the uvula removed it could possibly solve your problem

• Posted

I've had this before but it was caused by trying to clear phlegm from my throat. The act of doing the throat clearing was pulling on it and making it swell. Have you been doing any throat clearing. Deffo not achalasia

• Posted

hello cathuk. thanks for your reply

i have been doing a lot of throat clearing actually. its got a lot better since i began some amoxicillin. i am on day 3 of the course. its been a nightmare 5 months to be honest and I've not had much help from doctors i will finish the course of antibiotics and see what its like from there. i do also get a lot of mucous/phlegm after eating or drinking appears to be coming from the throat. the uvula is annoying the hell out of me now as i can feel it in the throat. i have also got a coated yellow tongue which does seem to be improving better since the antibiotics. best regards Daz.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.