Embarrassed to go to GP about bowel problem!

Posted , 3 users are following.

For a few months I have had something weird going on with my bowels. When I go to the toilet it is like a lump comes out my back passage and when I go to the toilet I never feel fully emptied, I always feel like there is something sitting in my bowel. for the last week I have been getting bad stomach pain in my upper right abdomen, not sure if they are connected. Can anyone please advise. I am too embarrassed to go to my GP in case he needs to do a rectal examination. Thanks.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Theres nothing bad about going to GP ... it takes five minutes and your bottom looks the same as everyone else. Having blood drawn is more uncomfortable, i promise you ... just make the appt and get it over with -- youll feel better ... i promise you... and this is coming from the guy who just went through it all

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. Can I ask did you have similar symptoms? Thanks

• Edited

Could well be hemorrhoids or a polyp as both can poke out as well a causing pain higher up. Remember polyps over time can become cancerous.

Doctors are used to nervous patients so make sure that you don't die of embarrassment. The procedure is very quick and he will not be looking you in the face to see it.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. Ye I know I need to make an appointment.

• Edited

I'm fortunate that I've had so many examinations that it does not bother me whether the doctor is male, female or gay or has students with him.

Don't delay too long.

• Edited

If you dont want to go to a GP then go to a gastroenterologist. You will be more comfortable.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.