Embarrassment from IBS gas

Posted , 26 users are following.

I'm not sure what kind of help or advice I'm looking for but I really need to share this problem with people who may understand.

I'm 32 and have suffered from IBS for about 14 years. My main problem is bloating, trapped wind and excess gas. Over the years I've learnt what/how to eat to control the bloating and trapped wind. The gas, however, still causes my some really embarrassing problems, especially when it comes to dating.

I don't often meet guys I'm attracted to but recently did meet one. I'm always so terrified of sharing a bed with a guy because of how much I accidentally fart in my sleep. I can spend a whole night trying not to fall asleep because I know as soon as I start to, it's very likely I'll fart.

This leads to impossible situations - trying to stay awake all night and ending up tired or suffering the embarrassment of farting next to a guy I fancy. I've farted a few times recently during the night with this new guy.

I've already read all the advice in the world about foods to avoid to reduce gas. I drink peppermint tea before bed. No matter what I eat, I still can't help farting during the night! A while ago I was very ill for a few days with a flu virus and ate almost nothing for a few days, but I was STILL farting.

I know many people would probably tell me to just mention it to the guy and make a joke of it. I can do that and I'm sure he'd be fine with it. But, it's not just an occasional small fart every few nights (everyone does that occasionally). For me it's usually two or three long loud farts every night! I would totally understand if a guy found that disgusting.

I guess I'd just like to hear from other people who have this same problem. Do you have any unusual tips for how to deal with it? What must guys think to have a girl farting next to them all night?!

I know this must be a very funny post to read. I've laughed while writing it because it is quite comical! But when you're lying in bed next to an attractive guy and you suddenly wake up realising you've just farted, that is definitely NOT funny.

0 likes, 35 replies

35 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hello killy

its funny when i read something you write about your ibs problem, I want to invite you for coffee, drink or dinner.

Regards

Adam age 44

• Posted

Kelly, I'm struggled with the same issues. I have IBS constipation. I suffer from nausea, headaches, stomach cramps and excessive flatuence. I have been beyond humiliated by my coworkers. This is my career job and I honestly feel like giving up on it after 14years. I've been to numerous doctors and explained to them my situation. Still no one can help. I've seen gastroenterologists. I've tried all the over the counter medicines. Tried drugstore remedies. Nothing helps but I feel so isolated. I can't talk to any one about my problem. It seems that if its not affecting someone else they don't care and think it's a joke. The only think that has kept me going is my kids. I've stayed strong for them. Sometimes I wonder if gods testing me. I get depressed and sleep. That's the only thing that makes me feel better. I don't have to be around anyone. I just go to bed. It's sad we have to live like this. No one understands what I'm going through. I pray about it. I fart non stop all day long.

• Posted

Hi everyone,

I'm so sorry you've all had to deal with issues like these for so long! I too have IBS and am just glad I'm an at home/online uni student so I don't have to deal with the embarrassment so often.

Over the past few years I've tried heaps of things to calm my stomach and I mostly have it under control now! I've cut out all trigger foods, am trying to eat more healthy and drink more water and always go for gluten free whenever I can. Exercise is a must, admittedly I don't do it as often as I should but there are great apps out there you can use to exercise without any equipment!! (I use zova, you get video guides with routines) Even simple stretching helps loosen your body up!

Another thing you should highly consider is talking to your doctor about anti-anxiety medication, I'm no doctor so please don't take my word on this because everyone's bodies are different, but when you become so stressed over IBS it's only going to make your symptoms worse! If it's severly effecting your mental health as well you're just putting more stress on your body.

My body was getting so stressed because I was anxious to even go into the toilet, honestly it put me in a state of dread because I'd feel like I had to go lie down afterwards that the stress actually caused me to have seizures (according to my doctor). I take Fluoxetine (an anti anxiety medication) now and I've noticed a big difference simply because I'm calmer now. Again, always talk to your doctor about how you're feeling before just outright suggesting anti-anxiety medication because they might have other helpful solutions! I know it's embarrassing but trust me, they've probably had to deal with worse.

It's not easy living with IBS but with the right diet, vitamins such as probiotics and a healthy mental state you can really manage it better! Just remember that your brain is highly connected to your stomach, it's why we feel sick whenever there's something nervewracking going on, so the calmer you are, the easier it should be! (Which is what my doctor told me, as well)

• Posted

Ive only just joined the forum Kelly, and yesterday posted regarding your comments, before I realised that they were made nine years ago!

i do hope you have managed to resolve the problem now. Its no joke and i really sympathise. And hope youve managed to find a nice understanding bloke.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.