Embolization for pelvic congestion syndrome

Posted , 7 users are following.

I am considering undergoing  pelvic vein embolization as a treatment for pelvic congestion syndrome. Has anyone gone through this procedure? What was the result? Did you have any complications? 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kathleen. I also have pelvic congestion syndrome. I have heard great things about embolization. Do you have children, want more? Or done? Those would be the questions to ask yourself maybe. Also ask if the embolization would “cure” it and you would be better. 5 years ago I had clips placed on my varicose veins, now 5 years later I just had surgery to look for reoccurring endometriosis and to look at my veins. Now my veins and arteries are severely varicose and they are leading to my uterus. My only option for treatment would be total hysterectomy and removal of all varicose veins/arteries. Not to scare you. I had great relief after my surgery with the clips but I had a child after that which could have made my vasculature worse. Always educate yourself. Hope this helps
  • Posted

Check out my 2 replies to Kitty51928, forum topic titles “Hip/pelvic pain for the past 5 months”. Search using the title and you will find it. I think what I suggested (go see a good IR) may have a good non-invasive cure for you.
  • Posted

Hi

I’ve been suffering from Pelvic Congestion since they birth of my second child (nearly 3 years ago) ans probably before that. I found the symptoms multifarious and the impact on my life quite substantial. I found little understanding from the GPs and no help.

I’ve just had my second embolisation and am feeling really positive. After still having problems following my first embolisation treatment (it returned worse than ever after about 6months) I’ve had conversations with a sexual health nurse at a walk-in centre (she was amazing when I was pretty damn low), my vascular consultant and interventional radiology surgeon. Opinion from the sexual health nurse was to go into the progestogen only pill (or mirena coil) to stop my periods. This has been backed up by my vascular consultant and interventional radiology surgeon. Each period makes my condition worse. I can feel it happen. Between my first and second embolisation I went on the progestogen only pill and it massively reduced my symptoms. Please do look into it as part of your ongoing treatment. 

• Posted

Ps i agree that embolisation is only suitable after you’ve had children. My consultant warned that it could make me infertile, but I wouldn’t have another child as I know it will make my condition worse. 

The op itself is easy but expect some inflammation for a few weeks following. Embolisation number 1, I was inflamed for up to 6 weeks. Embolisation 2 was a week ago. I feel great except for my leg which is still stiff and sore. The legs have been aching and throbbing in the evenings but it’s getting better every day. 

Im happy to answer any questions about the op if helpful x

• Posted

HI ladies 

I had coils inserted into my internal lilac vein and two

Migrated to my heart and I had to have open heart surgery to retrieve them , be careful please xxx 

• Posted

Hi Jan. That is horrible. Are you ok? How long after insertion did they migrate and perhaps a silly question but how did you know?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.