Emegency Splenectomy - Request for Information

Posted , 3 users are following.

A few months ago, I was rear-ended by a drunk driver. This crash resulted in a lacerated spleen, a bruised pancreas, and the loss of about half of my blood.

My spleen was not salvageble, so it was completely removed in order to save my life. I am exeedingly gateful to be alive, but I am left with many questions as to what this will mean for my future.

My discharge paperwork only mentioned post splenectomy vaccinations and a medical alert bracelet.

Information on what I can expect in my future or what I need to be doing health-wise has not been offered to me either by the hospital staff or my current GP. Getting any answers at all has been close to impossible thus far.

Can anyone recommend a doctor that is more forthcoming with information?

Or course any answers that any of you could provide on what I may expect would also be greatly appreciated!

Many Thanks!

-Sarah 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sarah,

I had my spleen removed following a sports injury in 1998. The good news is it is not life changing, but you now need to be much more health conscious.

Some basics:

1. Get your vaccinations - meningococcal / pnuemococcal now and every 5 years thereafter - your defences against pnuemonia and meningitis are severely damaged and either of these could be fatal. Get the new meningitis B vaccine - your doctor should tell you how often you will need this. Get the flu vaccine every year.

2. Always have antibiotics at home / in your bag / when travelling. If you get ill you should get on antibiotics immediately before the infection can overwhelm your system. Some asplenics take antibiotics everyday - I should but I dont if I am feeling healthy - but I do always have a supply on hand and take them through the winter.

3. Be more careful with food and with washing your hands. Dont eat undecooked burgers, be careful with shellfish, wash when you've handled raw meat - watch cross contamination when cooking.

4. Get advice before travelling anywhere "exotic". India / africa in particular could hold bacteria we do not see in the west. I have no intention of visiting these places.

5. Keep yourself generally healthy - tiredness can be a siede effect but dont let it slow you down too much.

6. Dont be slow in getting medical adcvice / help if you dont feel well

In terms of a bracelet - I dont wear one but I do have a screensaver on my phone that highlights it if needed - any ICE type application can help with this.

I know that's quite a bit of info, but genuinely if you take these few steps, the impact on your life is small. For me I tend to get 1 or 2 bad throat infections per year that definitely take longer to shift than they used to and some days I feel low on energy (may not be related to spleen), but otherwise life is normal.

Hope this helps.

David

• Posted

Thank you so much for your response!

The more I have discussed this issue with others, the more I am thinking I need to find a new doctor that is more willing to offer up information.

The information about antibiotics and diet were never mentioned to me by a health care professional.

Again, thank you so much for this information! Just hearing from someone else who has gone through this as well means a lot.

-Sarah

• Posted

Sarah, I found this on a web search last year - it's a good easy to read guide that gives a bit more detail than I gave:

http://www.healthchallengewales.org/sitesplus/documents/1052/121022spleenguideen.pdf

Glad to be of help.

David

Emis Moderator comment: I have also added a link below to the equivalent article on our site which is also linked in the right sidebar on this page.

https://patient.info/health/preventing-infection-after-splenectomy-or-if-you-do-not-have-a-working-spleen

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.