emergency contraception - abnormal bleeding for 11 days

Posted , 2 users are following.

I took the emergency contraceptive pill on Tuesday 28th January and then began bleeding on the following Sunday (which would of made my period 2 weeks earlier than it was due). The bleeding began as a brown discharge and then looked like normal period red blood for 3 days, after this the bleeding went back to a brown colour and became lighter. Normally my periods last 4-5 days but i am still bleeding and it is now day 10 from when the bleeding began. It seems to stop for a few hours and i think its stopped then when i go to the toilet and wipe i will see brown looking blood/ discharge again. Its light enough to wear a panty liner. I am really confused what is going on down there? Is it possible to bleed for that long after the morning after pill or is this something totally unrelated to taking the pill? I have used the emergency contraceptive pill before and had my period a week early but ive never had it two weeks earlier and certainly not for this long. Any ideas what it could be? I have no pain or any other symptoms. help! I spoke to the gp and she didnt seem concerned but ive never had this before!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

hey there,

i an currently experiencing the same thing. i took the EC a month ago and then had my normal period 1.5 weeks later. then a week after that i started bleeding again, same as you. a bit on and off and now its been 8 days and im cramping in my lower back. i am seeing the doctor next week, but i am sure it must be due to the pill.

• Posted

thanks for your reply. I am hoping it is just due to the pill. Its always worrying having abnormal bleeding. keep us updated on what the doctor says

• Posted

i reckon it is. its the only thing that has changed for me in the last month so its the only thing that makes sense. ill let you know what my doctor says. hope things settle down for you really soon!

• Posted

so i went to the doctor today and she reckons its all just hormonal from the pill. so im going to get my hormones tested. she didnt seem concerned at all so im sure youre fine!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.