Emergency contraception and chances for it to fail

Posted , 2 users are following.

So, I’m 17 and I’ve recentley had sex with my boyfriend with a condom and for the first time it broke, it was the 18th day in my cycle so yeah fertile window and anyway I took ellaOne emergency contraception 6 hours after the condom broke. It has now passed 4 days since I took it and I’m so anxious because what if it didn’t work and I end up getting pregnant? Two days after taking ella I started feeling a little bit dizzy and started having a little bit of a pain in my stomach and I realized I had a tiny bit of a white to yellowish discharge (which didn’t smell abnormal or anything) so I don’t know of that’s normal after taking EC. I’m also a little bit scared because I read that emergency contraception doesn’t work on overweight women and I am a little bit overweight my BMI is not over 28. So, I’m sorry if this is kind of a spam but I’m really worried and I don’t know if I should make a pergnancy test and if yes then when, I think there’s no point in waiting for period to come because it’s never regular for me. If someone can help who has experience with this I would be very greatful.??

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I really wouldn’t worry if I were you, although I remember being in a similar situation several years ago and being stressed out waiting for my next period as well. You’ve done everything right and taken the emergency contraception really quickly. Depending on how long your cycles are will determine when your fertile window is, but that’s not easy if they’re irregular as you say yours are. Typically in a 28 day cycle, day 18 would be past the fertile window by about 4 days. Just bear in mind that worrying can cause your period to come late as well. If I were you, if you have no period after 2-3 weeks since you took the emergency contraception then do a test to put your mind at rest.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.