Emergency Referral After Scan

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all, i am really worried and not sure where to turn. In feb 2016 i was diagnosed with fibriods on 21st December 16 i was sent for a scan as the Dr could feel a lump on my right side as i had gone in complaining of back pain and pressure on my bladder, i was given an internal and external scan and on Christmas eve i was been sent to see a Dr at our local hospital, i sadly had to cancel as i have a child with special needs and no one to help me so its now next week on the 5th Jan, i am worrying myself over cancer and everything can anyone give me any advice or has this happened to you x thanks xx

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi Angela,

I'm so sorry to hear about what your going through , I hope I can ease your mind a little .

I went to the doctors several times as I was also having bladder trouble , going toilet all the time and a lump in my left lower side of abdomen which seemed to feel hard and getting bigger . Eventually I paid privately for a scan as the doctor was making me wait so long and was diagnosed with several large uterine fibroids .

I'm now three weeks post open myomectomy surgery to remove them .

It sounds to me like this might be what you have too

I hope you get your scan soon , otherwise I recommend paying to go privately , costs about £80 to put your mind at rest.

All the best to you

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply how are you feeling now and how long were you in hospital for xx 
    • Posted

Hello Vera,

I'm now three weeks post op . It's been up and down but that's because I honestly didn't know what to expect and thought it was a minor procedure 😂I had 7 fibroids removed , two very large ones and the biggest the size of a babies head 🙈

I was in hospital three nights , the first day was the worst because I got sick from the pain killer drugs they gave me but everyone's different so other people might be just fine . I had a big bandage on my abdomen which shocked me but the incision itself isn't that big and will fade over time I'm sure .

Second day was much better , catheter was taken out and I was scooped out of bed and made to walk down the corridor . It took forever lol just very uncomfortable, I wouldn't say massively painful . It hurts the most if you sneeze , laugh or cough sadI was also bleeding for about a week so don't be worried if you are as this is normal .

Home on day three once you can go to the toilet . I was quite scared coming home but luckily Mum stayed with me for two weeks . You must have someone stay for first week at least as you need help with meals and other bits . Not much of an appetite , but try and eat as much as you can and drink lots .

Now I'm still a bit sore, walking much better but get tired very easily . So I think it will take another couple of weeks to feel pretty much normal again . I find myself laying down in the afternoons to try and get my energy back up .

I do hope this helps and if you have any other questions , please ask .

• Posted

Hi Angela,

I was in hospital three nights . It all depends really on how your recovering , some people may get out sooner.

I'm a lot better now , still very slow and get tired very easily . I get quite dizzy too but I think it's just my body telling me to slow down Im not in too much pain and not taking any painkillers . In fact , I stopped taking them after a few days . It's true what people have been saying on here , don't expect to go back to work for a month at least and it will take time so be prepared at home with lots of magazines and boxsets to keep you entertainedsmileI'm not allowed to walk far yet so the boredom is the worst thing 😩

I hope this helps x

• Posted

Thank you so much and yes i had a c-section with my twins 18 years ago someone compared the pain to that, but I'm not sure but saying that newborns are asleep half the time so i could get some rest my son is 18 and still in nappies, so i guess i may need some help but thank you all i have been thinking is cancer it helps knows there are other things and not just that dreaded C word x 

• Posted

I'm sure it's not so try and put your mind at rest , the symptoms sound identical to mine . Yes , my mum said it was similar to a c section but not having had one I can't say . It's honestly not too painful just uncomfortable. Do try and get help in the first week .

Let me know how you get on x

• Posted

I will i have my Mom and my twin daughter, she will help with her brother and thank you i will do x
  • Posted

Hi angela i was goin back forth to my doctors with pressure on blader and back ache also terrible periods blood clots bleeding for weeks at a time i had a scan done that showed up a fybroid size of an orange but my time i had gyni appointment grew to grapfruit size had hystorectemy just over week ago doc told me when they got inside it was size of a yellow melon try not to worrie anga it more likely to be a fybroid and there are diff ops you can have done keep well keep us updated
    • Posted

Thank you for replying i worry so much as i am a carer for my son and being away from him will be hard for me and him too but if i need treatment its better for me and for him so i can care for him, hope you are feeling ok and hugs too you xx
    • Posted

Worry is the hardest thing to deal with as your mind works overtime i help my daughter with my grandson who is autistic and a handfull so just waiting till im all healed up then i can start having him over night something that was to hard for me b4 as i was in so much pain chin up and keep us posted
    • Posted

I will do my son is 18 and still in nappies so i do worry about this, he hates anyone but his Mom to change him, which i guess is understandable, and thanks so much for your reply smile x

• Posted

Like the other ladies, I agree that it is most likely to be a fibroid (it is thought that the majority of women have fibroids, so they're very common!) . I wouldn't go scaring yourself with over-researching the "worst case scenarios" on the internet either.

However, it is probably a good idea to reschedule your scan just so you know exactly what you're dealing with - how big it is, if it is pressing into your bladder etc. Then they can give you options for treatment. Depending on the size, location, your age, if you wish to preserve fertility, and whether you have passed menopause, there are a range of treatments available. Anything from hormone pills to help shrink them, to embolization (cutting off the blood supply to the fibroids), to full-scale surgery (myomectomy/hysterectomy). Myomectomy and hysterectomy are generally only offered after other measures have been tried, and should be considered as a last resort.

Hope this helps!

Best wishes, Rosie.

PS cases of fibroids becoming cancerous are incredibly rare (like, one in 2-million women) so don't go fretting about that! You're most likely just like the rest of us--struggling through some of the many nasty symptoms which can arise from these benign growths.

• Posted

Hi, well I had a scan on the 21st internal and external on the 24th December I'd received another to see an emergency clinic which was fir the 28th December, I couldn't attend this as I had no one to have my son, so they've now given me one for the 5th January, I should have said I'm 41 I have twins that are 18 one has severe autism and learning difficulties so I've also decided I don't want more children, just scares me I guess as I'm my son carer x but thank you I'm so glad I posted here it's helped a lot xx 

• Posted

Fibroids are non cancerous tumors. Don't worry to much. I had embolization on the 28th of November. This has helped alot since, however the first couple weeks were tuff. My best advice is get to a radiologist. They know all about fibroids better than your doctor or Gyno.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.