Emetaphobia(fear of sick)

Posted , 3 users are following.

Feel like I'm never off here lately!

Latest thing(which is a constant in my life) is this phobia!! I envy, and long to be one of those people who, when their kid says 'my tummy hurts' can soothe their child, sit with them and care for them. Not me! Cue blind panic, and planning my exit route if said kid throws up!!

I hate that I'm not a proper mummy to my 3 kids. Instead, I live in CONSTANT(and I really do mean constant-it consumes and controls every thought I ever have) fear of me, my partner, or the kids catching a stomach bug.

Help... how can I become a 'normal' person who doesn't freak out about this?!

I'm 35 and have felt like this for about the last 30 years. I'm about ready to give up...

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Why exactly are you scared of the flu? Are you scared you'll die from it, you wont be able to take care of the kids if you're sick?

I'm also a bit freaked out of getting sick, but at the same time, look at how many meds they make to help symptoms or get the stomach bug completely gone..

Worst case scenario, I'm down in bed for a few days and get to watch tv. Haha.

• Posted

I envy you, more than you could ever know. My fear is totally irrational. I know this. I still haven't worked out what part of it I think is the scariest bit? Is it that I think I'll die? No I do t think so. Maybe it's a fear of losing control? God knows?!

My 4 year old was complaining of stomach pain earlier, I've been a shaking mess ever since. Great fun!

• Posted

Just think of how many great meds they have now for things like the stomach bug.. A quick doctors visit and within 48 hours it would be almost done.

Hopefully she feels better tomorrow, maybe it was just something she ate that didn't agree with her. Spray your doorknobs, remotes, etc with disinfectant. I went through a stage of how you are after I had pneumonia in February. I was terrified of any illness. Antibacterial soap and disinfectant became a main staple in my cleaning cabinet.

Are you in therapy for this? They say once you finally get to the root of the problem, your fears can finally be let go.

• Posted

Have you tried hypnosis..hypnotherapy to rid this fear?  Well worth the shot.
  • Posted

"Yesterday are our lessons" Do everthing you can do for your kids to protect them with knowledge you have learned. "Tomorrow is a gift" ..you can only do the best you can with the knowledge you learned yesterday  "Love, teach and protect them today... this moment .......just let them be kids......and as a parent you will have done a great job.

?Just my opinion smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.