Emetophobia?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hiya.....im suffering quite badly with Emetophobia. It all kicked off when i was 28, im not 31.

The word vomit makes me panic! Im constanley thinking my child has a tummy bug and panic! I feel sick, i panic! It lso doesnt help whn i wake up most mornings feeling nausous , my digestive system is terrible, has been  for a few years.

But my phobia is getting quite bad now that i dont eat!  If i dont eat,then i will not be sick! thats in my head!, Ive also lost a lot of weight due to this.

If i feel hungry then that kind of makes me feel relaxed, its weird how my mind is being like this!!

But if i hear one of my friends are ill......it will play on my mind all day and for days ahead!

Does anyone else have this??? xxx

2 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I didn't think I had this but my daughter had a sick bug last week and I was terrified of catching it. My husband got it I was like a mad woman disinfecting the house because I'm scared of being sick. I would have never been like that a year ago I remember the last time she was ill I caught it and didn't think twice. Anxiety can really mess with your mind. I've also felt sick for days I'm unsure if it's from my citalopram or it being in my head thinking I'm still going to catch it.
  • Posted

Hi!  i have had emetaphobia since i was a child.  If i feel sick, i panic.  Even if my husband has a tummy bug i panic.  Your not alone!  Val.
  • Posted

I suffered with this for years since I was 7 years old.  I know the terror and the fear and the terror of feeling sick.  I know the fear of being around other people who may vomit or feel in a way that could lead to vomiting.  I couldn't be in any vomit-related or vomit possible situation.  i obesses on the horrors of vomiting.  It affected my sense of well being and my ability to tolerate others, especially children.  Over time I've gotten over a lot of it.  Though I myself have not officially vomited since 1970, I can somewhat tolerate others vomiting without losing it or freaking out.  I had some quasi personal reflux episodes somewhat similiar to vomit but not as intense and I did not become terrified or freak out.  I guess one day if I vomit I'll just have to vomit and deal with it and see it's not the end of the world.  I realize time may not always be the answer to emetophobia so I suggest you seek specific phobia treatments to overcome this nightmare.  Face it, you well never be able to completely avoid a vomit situation forever and the sooner you start conquering this fear the sooner life becomes bearble for you.  You must seek out the help of an anxiety or phobia therapist now and work on this.
    • Posted

I think it's the thought if it that makes me scared. If I was actually sick I would deal with it its just waiting worrying to see if it's going to happen. I don't think I'm out of the woods yet my daughter was sick for the last time on Sunday!!
    • Posted

I shared a room with my brother growing up and always had to deal with his eating discretions and vomit episodes and it quite stressful.  But I find that now I get turned off by other people doing it but I don't become terrified like I used to.  I figure if I ever have to experience a full episode hopefully it'll shake what's left of the phobia out of me through exposure.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not totally comfortable around others refluxing but I don't become scared like I used to.  I can remember episodes of people getting sick which stuck with me for decades and the terror I felt when it happened.  It even gave some of those people special recognitiion in my mind because I knew them as people who got sick.
    • Posted

Oh dear!! I've started worrying I'm going to be ill again now my stomach is churning around!!
  • Posted

I think this phobia is more common than we realise. I too suffer from Emetophobia. I don't know when it started but i have had it all my adult life. I don't like to hear or see others being sick and i dread myself being sick thou it's only happened on a few occasions in the last 10 years and a couple of times was due to a medication. We have to deal with it when it happens. I think if it's affecting someone on a daily basis then there are treatments available such as Hypnosis.   
  • Posted

Having suffered from his for years....really restricting my life..

I got a book from Amazon.....by Rob Kelly......Thrive curing emetophobia....

It does work....give it a go...it explains it and if you do the exerises......you will be free....not a quick fix but you are working on something positive.....helps your anxiety...and sets you free!!

• Posted

No, i havent asked for help sad sad But should really. Ive not ten for 3 days now...... because everytime i try to eat i feel phisically sick!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.