Emetophobia, help and advice please

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi all, I’ve suffered from a fear of being sick for years, spent a long long time going through daily panic attacks and barely eating which thankfully I don’t have anymore, but I have been diagnosed with Ménière’s disease which makes people randomly suffer from severe vomiting attacks. I just really need advice on how to get over it. Has anyone else suffered from this? Thanks x

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Christina

I wish I had some good advice for you, the only bonus, if you can call it that, is the suggestion for fears is to face them and as awful as your situation is, hopefully, you will eventually learn that you have nothing to fear - it must be extremely unpleasant though. I'm going to the hospital on Tuesday to have tests for the same disease but I'm not experiencing sickness, my problem is I have anxiety and panic attacks whenever I go into places I don't know so I'm already really anxious. I know I need to face this in order to get over it but it's scary so I completely understand how you feel. Did you have any therapy?

• Posted

Hi Lucy, thanks for the advice smile 

I haven’t had therapy no, although I probably should now with the menieres. 

You’re having tests for that? If you’re not getting dizziness to the point of at least nausea it’s extremely unlikely you have that, so count it as an absolute blessing. The new location is at least a place where everyone is out to help you, I know it’s difficult. Keep me updated on their verdict of you. 

• Posted

It sounds like you would definitely benefit from some sort of therapy. Speak to your GP about it, I'm sure you would be classed as an urgent case if you explain your history.

My GP thought it was labrynthitis but I have a bulging sensation in my ears which is conducive to menieres disease but I'm hoping it isn't that. Do you also have tinnitus?

• Posted

I see, yes I was diagnosed with labyrinthitis first too. Hoping for the best for you. It look quite a while to get tinnitus but now I do have it in my right ear occasionally yes.  I’ll have a talk with my GP and see what can be done about it. If they don’t think it’s urgent the waiting time is months here (UK) so I would hope they saw it that way! Do you take anything for your anxiety currently?
    • Posted

I've had CBT a couple of times and probably waited only a few weeks but did research on the Internet to try and self help whilst I was waiting. I was on Sertraline for a few months on the lowest dose but not I'm not on it any more. I don't like taking medication, it only masks the symptoms, they are still there.

My problem is I get to a point where my anxiety isn't a huge problem then I need to do something out of my comfort zone and I fall backwards. CBT is useful and does help but I was told if you are prone to anxiety you will never get rid of it, you just learn to control it. You said you managed to control your fear of being sick but now you have a problem which causes vomiting which must feel horrendous. You should be proud of yourself for dealing with it as it is unavoidable for you.

• Posted

Thankfully the meneieres hasn’t caused me to throw up but that’s thanks to the medication I’ve been on. I’m worried that I’m becoming dependent on it and also I can’t ever relax because I’m always scared of having an attack. It really is exhausting and while I’m not as bad as I was with the anxiety I wish I could just go back to only dealing with it and not a real physical problem that causes sickness sad

Yeah medication is often a bit of a mask, it’s good you’re not on anything atm from what you’ve said. 2 weeks is great, I’ve known friends that have had to wait far longer. Would you say CBT is worth it? 

• Posted

I know what you mean, it is exhausting, I'm thankful I don't have it 24/7. If you haven't physically been sick then you should try every way possible to not think about it unless it becomes a reality - I know that's easier said than done. Try some breathing or mindfulness exercises or, if you are able then maybe try some yoga classes to relax and calm your mind, I've been thinking about trying that as lots of people have suggested it.

I definitely think CBT helped me, it was particularly good for me knowing I wasn't alone. Anxiety can be a scary thing and a lonely place to be. I'm sorry to say I've passed some of my problems onto my daughter and now she has panic attacks so I really want to improve my wellbeing so that I can help with hers. Sadly the NHS won't help her until she is 16 and the school doesn't have the funding so it's down to me! Do you have family to help you?

• Posted

Thanks for your advice - you’re right. Sorry to hear about your daughter - knowing you’re there to support her im sure means the world. Yes the mental heath care in the UK isn’t the most reliable system at all, can’t believe there’s no help for under 16’s! Do let me know how it goes at the hospital today. My mum has been extremely supportive as I’ve had to move back home. 
    • Posted

Thanks for your advice - you’re right. Sorry to hear about your daughter - knowing you’re there to support her im sure means the world. Yes the mental heath care in the UK isn’t the most reliable system at all, can’t believe there’s no help for under 16’s! Do let me know how it goes at the hospital today. My mum has been extremely supportive as I’ve had to move back home. 
    • Posted

• Posted

• Posted

Hi Lucy, it’s not letting me reply to you for some reason. Thanks for your advice - you’re right. Sorry to hear about your daughter - knowing you’re there to support her im sure means the world. Yes the mental heath care in the UK isn’t the most reliable system at all, can’t believe there’s no help for under 16’s! Do let me know how it goes at the hospital today. My mum has been extremely supportive as I’ve had to move back home. 
    • Posted

Hi Christine. Sorry for late reply. I didn't get to my appointment, I had a panic attack on the way so now I'm back to the end of the list for a replacement appointment. Not ideal and I'm slightly annoyed at myself for giving in. Anxiety really is the pits!

It's good your Mum is there for you, I think it is definitely worse when you have to deal with these things alone. This site is amazing, just listening to others in the same situation can help immensely.

Please get referred for therapy, it will help you with out a doubt and I'm always happy to chat if you need a shoulder to lean on x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.