emetophobia - the fear of vomiting & a sickness bug

Posted , 4 users are following.

Wondering if anyone else is in the same position as me. I'm emetophobic which means I totally fear sick and being sick. I've unfortunately just woken up to a horrible feeling in the pit of my stomach and have been stood by the window getting air for the last hour. I feel like if I move I'll throw up. For most people throwing up is not a biggie although unpleasant. I'm hoping I can find other people that suffer like me to see how they cope with situations like this. It's a really debilitating phobia and one i wouldn't wish on anyone, how can you be scared of something that's 100% normal and also inside of you! I haven't been sick in over 10 years as I've taken so many steps to avoid it over the years. So I'm just wondering, does anyone else have emetophobia? And if so how do you cope if you get a stomach bug? I don't think I can go the rest of my life without being sick so any advice would be useful.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I too am emetophobic. I can't give much in the way of help because I battle every day not to be sick. I hate being like it too just wish I could be sick like everyone else but I panic so much when I feel sick ill do anything not to be sick. I use anti sickness bands for travel sickness and chew gum constantly until I feel better if that doesn't work I take an anti sickness tanker from the doc. Wish I could help but I'm in the same boat sorry. If anyone else has any help or advice that worked be great. Wouldn't wish this on anyone

• Posted

Tablet not tanker 😂

• Posted

Hi lauren03220

When i was younger i hated vomitting...but now i have a fear of keeping disease causing parasites in my stomach and causing a serious illness .....so it's fingers down the throat and get it up!..the relief after that is so worth it.....hope you can summon up the courage to get it up..how much better you will feel after that....best wishes.......

• Posted

Hi Lauren, I Don't have the same thing but use nonstop ginger for sickness but it works, an old fashioned remedy but the best! Good luck to all of you. My husband had a huge phobia of swallowing glass but through support he now copes, there's loads of help our there.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.