EMG Nerve testing

Posted , 7 users are following.

Has anyone had EMG testing done? If so, was it painful? I am getting this testing done on Tuesday.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Edited

I just had one about a month ago !

Yes, it hurt !

I've had 3 EMG's and they all hurt !

Just telling you like it is!

Good luck !!

• Posted

I have had one done recently and am waiting for the results. Mine was very painful, 3 days later and my arm is still sore where the needles were placed.

• Edited

Donald must be very sensitive ! I've had it done and the needles barely penetrate the skin and are not what could be described as painful. They don't cause bleeding and you don't see any marks later and the current used is not painful so don't worry about it.

• Edited

The experience of painful Vs non painful is individual. The current used is quite painful if the axon of the nerve is damaged and it's barely able to conduct a current. The good thing is that you can ask for rests and have some control. I have had babies without pain relief and recently two nerve release surgeries at once with no requirement of post op pain relief. I'm not "sensitive" in the least. I don't see the point in worrying about the testing though, you choose to deal with it in the moment.

• Edited

I've had it done 4 times, twice with the needles.

Yes the needles do penetrate the skin, they go in deep into the muscle belly in order to read the impulses. It's like a deep intramuscular injection but they aren't putting any medication in. I found the pain varied depending on the location. The palm of my hand and groin were the most painful.

The other part of the test is the nerve conduction testing. I believe it depends on what kind of nerve damage you have as to how high they need to make the voltage and therefore how painful it is. If your nerves have very low amplitudes then they have to turn the voltage up high in order to say that they've found the highest voltage that the nerve will conduct. If you have demylination then they are just testing the speed which doesn't require high voltage in order to measure. I've found that the operator is also a difference in how much it hurts.

]

Finding it painful Vs non painful probably has nothing to do with how "tough" or "sensitive" you are but on a whole lot of other variables.

• Posted

Mine were all in the arms and legs. I imagine belly ones would need to penetrate more deeply.

• Edited

I didn't say "belly". I said "belly of the muscle". That's the thickest part of the muscle and the EMG needle goes right into the middle of it.

• Posted

Definition: The belly of a muscle is the central "bulging" portion

• Posted

Thank you, I like to learn something new every day but I'll bet not many laymen know that. Obese people can now go around saying, It's not fat its all muscle 😃

"The definition of a muscle belly : The scientific definition : A muscle belly is basically the sum of all the muscle fibers in any given muscle. These muscle fibers are grouped into bundles of around 150 fibers called fasciculi "

• Posted

ive had 2 emg and 4 nerve studies ,didnt bother me at all ive had far worse procedures

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.