EMG test?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm going in for an EMG test and was wandering if anyone has had this done and could advise me on what to expect, Iv read a few comments on another site and I'll be honest it's scared me a bit but I would rather know what I'm letting my self in for, I have 8-10 faucet joint injections 3 x per year and the first time I just thought I was being tortured but it's not that bad now, thanks in advance 😢

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

It's like a nerve conduction test, not pleasant, but soon over and they can get a lot of information from it, electrodes and needles, don't go far in, then they send an electrical signal down the muscle and see how fast it reaches the nerve.

• Posted

Electromyography I think assesses the health of muscles and nerve cells, it uses electrodes to transmit electrical signals using pads and wires, rather like TENS.  I had this done years ago, it's not invasive.

8-10 faucet joint injections is that to reduce pain and would they be steroid because steroids harm bones by reducing their density?

• Posted

Yes they are for pain and they are steroids, without them I can't move. This just sucks, iv had years of pain and opioids and have done withdrawal 4 times now, it's took years to realise that meds just don't work long term so I suffer as a result, if the injections ever stop working then I'm knackered but it seems that I will be any way if I continue 😢

• Posted

Oh yes the EMG not invasive zero pain! Just lay there as they hook you up and test muscles and nerve signals functioning levels! 👍LJE

• Posted

They are better than oral inti inflams though. I've been taking naproxen for around five years, just been diagnosed with four ulcers, so no more naproxen.

Like you say, long term drugs don't work, you just have to keep upping the dose until you're at the top dose with all the bad effects and no benefits.

Just coming off Gabapentin, not helping, but make me spaced out.

Facet injections and nerve blocks don't do much for me either.

it's hard for us to know what to do for the best, just whatever works I suppose.

• Posted

Ah I'm so sorry you dont get any relief from the injections, as for the NSAIDS there not good either Long term, Iv just stopped Celebrex, I gained 16lbs in 8 weeks.

There must be something out there for us sufferers other than chemicals off the doc, hope your ok and find something soon that works, I'm looking into c*d oil 😊

• Posted

Hi Laura

Yep, whatever works when your dealing with chronic/acute pain that disables your everyday life!!!

My pain management Doctor loved out of state, and now I'm having problem finding new pain clinic let alone a primary care Doc that will go with an RX that helps if it is any type of narcotic! This is so frustrating! I'm allergic to lyrics and anything like it for nerve pain ! And although my spinal fusion has helped all pain I still suffer other conditions one being Fibromyalgia! So chronic pain to acute I have !😩Makes zero sense when I am on disability because of several medical issues but CAN NOT get proper RX to alleviate pain! Ugh all DR's so afraid now of prescribing any narcotics! Tramadol was what worked for Fibromyalgia however once my spine got horrible I landed in pain management clinic that Dr gave RX that covered all pain from various conditions! So now that he is gone and I'm on mend from spinal fusion..... I sure do not want to go back to a life of chronic pain !!! 😩😩😩

• Posted

Hi Caroline

As far as facet injections, ugh yes can be painful , however my Dr lightly sedated me when I had more than one at a time otherwise NO WAY could I take them! Try talking to doc about that! Best of wishes to you! LJE

• Posted

Caroline isn't there any surgeries that might mend your back?

Idk if you posted what your conditions are that you getting injections for, if I may ask..

😍LJE

• Posted

Thank you LJE4Info, I'm not bothered about the faucets now it's more the long term damage I'm worried about, I have a few things going on so I'll list them

L4/5 fussion with hard ware, artificial bone and mesh 14 years ago, now I have l2/3 and s1 bulging discs, this is where I have injections, they are painful but I'm getting used to them now, iv had about 13 lots up to date 😮

The fussion lead to T3/4/5/6 arachnoid cyst

compressing spinal cord

T9 heamagetoma (sorry for spelling)

C2-3, 3-4, 4-5, 5-6 bone spurs, bulging discs and slight lordosis

Numbness and weakness down left leg, nerve pain through out body and severe rhomboid and trapezius muscle spasms

It's all fun and games 😊

• Posted

Helloooo again Caroline,

Sounds like you've had plenty to deal with! Your spinal plate certainly over floweth my Dear! Prayers for you!

Your positive attitude shines through!

If I may ask what condition/S has caused many different spinal issues? Gosh you would be wealth of information for others should you start discussion groups on each condition!!!! I am so happy to have this forum and to learn others know EXACTLY what I'm talking about, as I do not personally know anyone that's head spinal fusion! And it's quite the experience!!!

Keep us posted ! 🙏🙏🙏LJE

• Posted

I had a prolapsed disc which lead to fussion, however I never had any aftercare which could have contributed to the other issues I now have, I'm not saying I would never have got them but just not as soon as I have.

The cyst is caused by cebriospinal fluid rushing up the spine and causing a sac to form and fill with the fluid, this is extremely rare but can be caused in motor cycle/car accidents or major spinal surgery gone wrong.

The rest of the discs have pressure on them due to the fussion and the cyst, almost like a domino effect, I see a chiropractor weekly and he's brill, I would go as far as to say without him I would probably of had surgery on my neck by now.

Iv been told the cyst can't be removed because it will leave me paraplegic or even death, bit extreme I know but that's how it is so I'm hoping it just stays out and dosnt start causing any more problems.

One last thing, for me I would avoid fussion surgery like the plague but that's just my experience 😊

• Posted

Ditto Caroline, I had laminectomy, then a fusion over thirty years ago, with the result that the bone has carried on making new bone at one side, pulling my spine sideways, throw in DDD and arthritis, and my back is hopeless now.

Nothing helps, wish I had never had the fusion.

• Posted

Ah that's awful but I know exactly how You feel, I hope they find something soon for all us sufferers 😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.