Emotional detox? Hormones? What is going on?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Ok. Had a baby May 2017. Easy pregnancy and easy delivery (my 4th baby). I was 140lbs before and delivered at 157lbs. I had a tubal August 2017 and was 135 lbs and not breastfeeding. By January 2018, I was 178lbs and climbing! I haven’t done anything different with my diet and have a total of 5 kids, a bunch of livestock, a small business, and a large garden so I’m active.

My weight is now 178lbs but I eat like I always have! (salad, olive oil and vinegar dressing, no dairy, lean meat, low sugar and no processed crap).

On top of all of this, I’m crying all the time! Like while driving, in the shower, in the middle of a sentence, just at these really weird times. Everything seems like a much bigger deal than it really is and I have no clue what’s happening! My anxiety is so high and everything is stressing me out now! 

I tried taking iodine but my symptoms got worse so I stopped about two weeks ago (was only taking it for a bit over a week).

Please help!!! My doc says that it’s postpartum depression but I really don’t think so. I was just fine until I had that tubal and then everything just turned to s**t very quickly. What do I do or what can I take?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Nicole,

Yes, what you are going through is certainly mysterious and I unfortunately can't guess what may be behind these symptoms of anxiety combined with weight gain.

But I do know of a product that our bodies actually produce naturally when we consume certain food groups, and that turns into serotonin when it crosses the blood-brain barrier. As you may know, serotonin is thought to be essential to regulate our mood. When we age, it is possible that our bodies don't transform the food we consume as efficiently into this product. As a result, we may be lacking serotonin.

This product is called 5-HTP (5-hydroxy-Tryptophan), and you can purchase its supplement tablets in just about any pharmacy without a prescription. I suggest you read about it before trying it out. But to give you a small appetizer, when used as a supplement, it usually has very beneficial effects against depression/anxiety, and many active people claim that it also helps control their weight. Each person may have unique reactions to any medication, but because you mentioned these two particular symptoms, 5-HTP might be something interesting to consider if you happen to be one of those who ends up responding like most.

Best of luck,

Greg.

• Posted

Actually I was on HTP for a while and only stopped because I ran out and it seemed like the effects were lessening. I kept forgetting to pick it up when I went out and I guess I just forgot about it altogether! I ran down the street to cvs and picked some up just now after I read your response. I hope it works again!
    • Posted

Great! I'm happy you had already tried it out in the past and had apparently already experienced some of its benefits. Maybe all you need is a slight dose adjustment (always read the label as a basis) and additional patience with the treatment.

I hope to find you feeling better soon!

Greg.

• Posted

I think you need to get a GP who takes you seriously and doesn't just put everything down to postpartum depression. And you should get professional advice rather than just trying various supplements.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.