Emotional distress after meningitis.

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello. I am a 37 year old male who had meningitis as a baby which has, I believe, seriously affected my emotions. My heart feels like it is breaking every day. I have consistent, powerfully intense emotions and deep, DEEP feelings of longing / sadness all the time. I have tried many anti depressants and therapies with little success. This, together with severe depression, has meant that I am a 37 year old virgin, who has never had a girlfriend. I have a fear of intimacy and am extremely anxious. I am lonely and I have no one to go on holidays with or spend time with. I am very afraid for the future and I feel I have nothing to live for. Has anyone else experienced similar problems after meningitis? Thank you. 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hello there. I had meningitis aged 37, and ever since then I have been very emotional- often crying for no reason, taking everything very personally. I see insults and rudeness when I know really there is none. Not the same as your situation I know, but I do have some understanding of what you're going through.

• Posted

Sorry you've been through a tough time. I think the key to my issues is the fact that the disease hit me when my brain was still developing. I've never been right. 

• Posted

Try not to think of it as not being "right", only different. None of us is "right". No-one. I never found therapy to be of much use either.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.