Emotional Freedom Technique ( EFT or tapping) or hypnotherapy - beneficial?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi guys, 

Have done some shorter stints of CBT/psychotherapy for depression and anxiety in the past  which really helped at the time but never really found I got to "get to the root of my problem"  and shift it permanently. At the moment, I am not overly depressed or anxious but I felt that perhaps some EFT or even hypnotherapy could help me deal with some underlying recurrent insecurities.

Just a little apprehensive because of the lack of evidence regarding the effectiveness of this technique so I wondered if anyone has ever tried EFT or hypnotherapy and could advise/give a little insight into how effective/not effective they felt it was? 

Thanks, 

Agirl x

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi there

I don't know anything about EFT, but I once had a form of conselling called Human Givens which I found very helpful (I'm bipolar by the way), as part of it the counsellor would, with my permission, use a mild form of hypnotherapy for anxiety and I found it very helpful and pleasant.  I used to get panic attacks on crowded trains and public spaces and now due my consellor's work I'm fine on public transport etc.  She taught me meditation techniques which I can still use for anxious situations.  Sadly I can't afford to go anymore being retired and its not avaialable on the NHS and in any case, my counsellor rewtired too and it had taken me a long time to build up a relationship with her.  However, I'm med compliant and pretty much stable now so I give thanks

Hoping you are OK?

Lizzie xxx

• Posted

Hi Lizzie, 

Thanks for your information. I will look into that and see if there are any counsellors around which practice that type of therapy that I can go to. I did call one therapist I thought did hynotherapy but she said she doesn't practice anymore. I'll keep looking them up.

I'm doing alright thanks. I am quite happy and not so anxious most of the time but I would just like to build my confidence so that I am not anxious  or uncomfortable in social situations. 

Thanks for asking and for your help :D 

Agirl xx

• Posted

Hello Anonymousgirl.

To get to the root of your problem i would like to advise you on something called Vapassana, its meditation, maybe you should do some research on this also.

John x

• Posted

Thanks John, I will definitely look into it!! If there is one thing I do, it is fully research all my options before I come to a decision about anything (and even at that I often still find it hard to decide! lol )

All the best, 

Agirl xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.