Emotional trauma from the actual ankle break?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm having an unexpected issue with remembering my foot being at the wrong angle for a while. It's worse if I try to think exactly how my ankle actually broke, when it was such a simple slip. I can't remember and when I try to, I feel upset and a bit sick. People always ask me how exactly it happened, and I always try to answer honestly, but it leads me to try and work it out.

Does anyone have any similar experiences with some kind of emotional trauma of the actual break, rather than fear of slipping? (I am certain that I'll also have future moments of fear of slipping, and worry about recovery as others do.)

But it's all still quite new. It was a week ago I dislocated and fractured my ankle when out walking on a hill - just 20 mins from car park on way back. I waited just an hour with my friend for help, and then another 2 to get air lifted off. It was really cold and really stressful, but not as long as some wait in pain. I am lucky in many ways.

It got set that night, and then a few days later I got surgery to put screws and plates in. Now in a cast. As I live on my own, I've been able to come to my dads in a different town to where I live. He has been brilliant. My sisters seem to have a lot on just now and am maybe just needing to chat about it.

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

hope you are feeling better... i am 6 weeks post op and i still cant think about what happened without feeling sick and shaky... i just remember thinking that my ankle couldn't bend any more.. and then it did. thankfully it was a windy day and i didn't hear it break. i think I'm still traumatised by the event. got the go ahead to start weight bearing today but had no idea how hard it was going to be!! feeling pretty poop tonight and dont feel like im ever gonna 'get there' .... take care.. k

• Posted

hi i have being told to start weight bearing again but i am absolutely terrified of putting weight on my foot and suffering from anxiety what are you doing to weight bear please

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.