Emphysema

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have been diagnosed with 3rd stage emphysema, or chronic lung disease, I am on oxygen for exercise, and often get lung infections, most times I cope ok but during infections become very anxious and depressed. Was wondering how others cope with this stage, thank you

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I'm 52 yrs young. Diagnosed 2 yrs ago with Empthsema, have been to see the transplant team etc and chose not to go down that path as my body would not be able to take it ( my call. ) With this every day is a challage, I cope by put myself in a nice place in my mind. I switch off from all the bad stuff in the world. It's about controlling your mind. I have 3 grand children which I love very much. I have been told that I will not live as long as I think I will live, and get my house in order. I don't let this control my life in any way even when I'm really bad. I hope this help as I'm not very good at writing things down etc. My advice to any one is live you life for you not the illness.

Regards 

Stuart

• Posted

I am 55 and also have been to see the transplant team. As of today I am still in the assessment phase but am looking forward to the operation. I am just wondering why you chose not to pursue that path.  While I admire  your ability to control your mind and retain positivity, I am viewing the transplant as an opportunit to last a bit longer for my grandkids; I guess i just don't  grasp your mentality and would like to have a better understanding.

I wish you all the best down your bumpy road and hope that you can absorb all the love bestowed upon you. I think you are very brave.

• Posted

Hi Shannon

From the authoritative reports I have read, a transplant will not necessarily increase your life expectancy, but will vastly improve your quality of live.

• Posted

Thank you so much to you all for taking time to reply to my email, just knowing there are others out there with the same problems at batttling along each day, congratulations to you all. I am amazed at the strengths that people show when facing this disease. This helps me to enjoy all the little things in life and know I am not alone, thank you.STuart, you impress me with your strength at such a time as do others, again Ta muchly
    • Posted

Good morning Shannon.

with this illness it affects every different, some people can live 5 to 20 years plus with it. I was always aware of the transplants etc, but for me weight lose is a big problem and I'm still losing. With the transplant you have to look at every thing, as once you go down that path it takes over your life, yet there is no saying that every thing will be fine after it. This is so hard for me to try and put in to words what I think. All the time you are putting into the transplant will be gone, so you've missed out on your family and grand kids etc, because that become your life then. There is some much you have to think about with regard to your time, as the clock is always ticking. I hope this helps.

All I can say to people with this illness is live your life for you and what ever makes you happy.

ps: I'm not a very good writer, speller etc and get a bit lost.

But ha ho am happy and still here.

• Posted

Hi Degb

Stuart gave a great reply. I would add, because for pathetic souls such as myself this kind of thing is helpful: Your feelings of anxiety and depression are valid. This stuff is frightening and depressing. Yet we are alive with it. Just chatting here may be helpful but don't hesitate to ask your doctors for help if these feelings become too big

Blessings & breathing through the anxiety

Aitarg

• Posted

My doctor prescribes three antibiotic pills a week. Helps a lot. Comes with some hearing loss. The anxiety and depression will tighten you bronchial tubes. Suggest consult doctor about it.

Also there is an acceptance issue. I get anxious and depressed but know I could guide my attitude better.

Do all you can to avoid colds. For wellness water works wonders. Diet and exercise.

Apply your own science to keeping your lungs as clear of mucus as possible.

Bad things happen. But strive to enjoy. Find the good. Most cloudy days have a blue sky somewhere.

• Posted

Hi

My doctor has prescribed lorazpam for my panic and anxiety. I get flustered just going to the doctor some days and don't enjoy the feeling at all. It really helps me out and allows me to enjoy the outing or visit. At this stage of the disease, I prefer to have some control regardless of haveing to take more medications. Quality  counts. Stay well and keep exercising, that is my challenge to myself.

• Posted

Hi degb

Its important to get treatment for lung infections asap.  anti biotics and steroid tablets, sometimes being ill makes people feel depressed, others get depressed on the medicine to treat the lung infection, some may experience this and others not.  Same for anxiety, some experience this others not.

Have a chat with the British Lung Foundation helpline and they will be able to advise you further on this.  https://www.blf.org.uk/

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.